Survival Skill #13

Proper preparation means having the right survival items and knowing how to use them.

~

Something whimpers.

I look down and see Billy writhing in pain at my feet. Blood seeps through a wound in his thigh. An acidic taste sloshes around my mouth, and my gut performs somersaults. I’m not sure if my stomach’s upset because I taste my own blood or because I smell Billy’s.

Al stands frozen directly in front of me. With bulging eyes, he fixates on something just over my shoulder. His voice cracks. “Take it easy, man. We just foolin’ around.”

Behind me, someone grapples with the bind on my wrists. As soon as I’m free, I yank the sopping cloth out of my mouth and bend over. Fresh mountain air revives my lungs, and the smell of the sweet woods drowns out the lingering stench of the cloth. When my breath returns, I spin around and spot a familiar face.

The cute guy I saw by the river stands only a few feet away, pointing a gun at my attackers. He does a quick once-over and frowns. “Bloody hell, are you all right?”

I nod but can’t help staring at the weapon in his hand.

My rescuer walks over to Billy and yanks a knife out of his leg. Billy screams in pain as the guy wipes both sides of the dirty blade on Billy’s pant leg. “Sorry, mate, but I’m going to need this back. You understand, right?” Still holding the gun, he motions to me. “Hold this while I tie them up?”

He sounds amazingly polite and calm considering the situation. My voice quivers. “Me?”

The guy nods. “Unless you see any other damsels in distress standing around?”

Damsel? I take the gun and hold it in my hand. The barrel shakes as Al practically kills me with his eyes. The guy ties Al’s hands together, then Billy’s. “There. That should hold them long enough for us to get out of here.”

Billy whines as Al growls. “You know we’re gonna get you back, don’t yah?”

The guy ignores them and picks up my bag. He shoves all the contents back in before handing it back to me. He takes back his gun and lightly clutches my arm. “I believe we’ve worn out our welcome here.”

“Hold on, I lost something!” I drop to my knees and scour the ground, frantically searching for my bracelet. I can’t lose the only thing I have left of Dad. Thankfully, I find it tucked under some brambles and slip it on my wrist, sighing a breath of relief.

Cute guy is standing there staring at me. “Any time you’re ready?” I move close to him and grab his hand. He bows toward Al. “Thank you for a lovely evening.” Then he takes off into the trees, towing me close behind.

I stumble every few steps because my legs keep buckling underneath me like limp, wet noodles, but the guy keeps me on my feet. About a mile or so down the trail, a few drops of water sprinkle my face. Within moments, the sky cracks open and dumps a wet load on us.

The guy races ahead of me, slopping through the soggy underbrush. He yells over his shoulder. “Come on. This way!”

I scramble after him, trying to track his fuzzy figure through the downpour. Squinting through wet bangs and waterlogged contacts, I catch sight of him way ahead, slithering along a rock wall. I race after him to try and catch up.

What if Al and Billy get loose? What if they’re already following us? What if they are right behind me? By the time I reach the wall, the guy’s gone.

Once again, I’m alone.

I scan the ground, looking for a sign telling me which way he went. The rain is coming down so hard and fast, I can’t find any tracks. A few yards away, something crashes through the thick foliage. I frantically hunt for a place to hide. Hysteria gurgles below the surface and my nerves begin to fray. It takes me a second to realize I’m mumbling, “Oh God, please.” Over and over.