Survival Skill #22

When traveling in densely wooded areas, hiking with a partner is much safer than being alone.

~

I speed down the highway and enter the town limits, passing derelict billboards, abandoned gas stations, and fading street signs. Once I reach the main strip, Luci practically slides into a parking space. Without ripping off my helmet, I bolt toward Carl’s office.

Before I reach the police station, I spot Mr. Fields standing outside his store under a grand reopening banner and a revamped front with new windows, sparkly paint job, and a shiny, red sign. He smiles at me and waves. “Grace, want to come in for some tea? It’s my reopening!”

I stop in front of the open doors and catch my breath, taking note of his renovations: new hardwood floors, new shelving stocked with merchandise, and even an old-fashioned popcorn machine. The smell of fresh paint teases my nose. Looks like he finally got the money to stay open. Guess some things can turn around when you least expect them to. “Can’t today, Mr. Fields, but congrats on the new look.”

He wipes his hands on his apron. “Thanks. It’s about time us small town folks caught us a break. No matter what your daddy said, our town needed a change.” The hair on my neck stands on end at his random comment. He catches himself and turns red with embarrassment. “Sorry, Grace. That was out of line.” He spins around and leaves before I can respond.

I try to let his comment roll off my back as I sprint the rest of the way to Carl’s. But for some reason, it bothers me even though I know it probably shouldn’t. I mean, who says that kind of crap to the daughter of a missing person? Especially about someone who has always loved this town. Dad did too. He wanted the town to thrive; he just didn’t think strip malls and chain restaurants were the right answers.

I guess it’s true: dumb people say the darndest things.

The inappropriate comment slips out of my head as soon as I round the corner. I yank open the dinging door, yelling. “Captain!”

Bernice jumps to her feet and presses her hand against her chest. “Good heavens, Grace! You scared me!” She checks me out and hands me a tissue to wipe my face. “Sit down, child. I’ll get you something to drink.”

I flop down in a new leather chair in the linoleum-lined waiting area. “New furniture?”

Bernice rushes over with a paper cone full of cool water. “Don’t you just love it? Finally adding a woman’s touch to this place.”

“Looks good.” After taking a swig, I wipe my mouth on my sleeve before speaking more clearly. “Bea, I need to see the captain. Is he in?”

She points out the window. “Here he comes now.”

I peek through the mini blinds and spot Carl and Wyn walking along the sidewalk. Carl’s the dad Wyn never had, and Wyn’s the son Carl always wanted. Guess having Skyler worked out for both of them.

Wyn opens the door for Carl and trails close behind him. They both look surprised to see me. Wyn mutters, “Hey, G.”

I smile back. Thank God Wyn’s here. If anyone will back me up on this case, it’s him.

“What happened to you?” Wyn raises his eyebrows when he spots me, all dirty and haggard.

I realize how haggard I look. My pants are wet, and my boots are muddy. “Nothing. Why?”

“So dressing to impress then.”

I force out a chuckle. “I think you get funnier everyday, Wyn.”

He looks proud of himself. “I try.”

“Obviously not hard enough.” I turn to Carl. “Captain, I need to talk to you. It’s important.”