Survival Skill #15

If alone, stay aware of your surroundings, even if they appear to be safe.

~

The next day, I head into town for work. After parking Luci in the back alley, I slink down the alleyway to the store’s rear entrance, just in case Al and Billy are hanging around again. I hurry inside, letting the door slam shut behind me.

Tommy snaps his head up, and his fishing hat falls off on the floor. “Good heavens, you scared me, Elu.”

“Sorry. I didn’t know you’d be back here.”

He picks up his cap and puts it back on his head. “Hey, what happened to you yesterday? In case you’re confused, your break is only thirty minutes, not twenty-four hours.”

I slump against the wall for fear my legs will buckle underneath me. “Sorry, Chief.”

He leans back in his desk chair and crosses his arms. “Sorry? You left me high and dry without any notice. I don’t appreciate it, Elu. Not one bit.”

Dr. Head always says that you can tell a lot by someone’s body language. According to his rules, Tommy is shutting himself off to me. I drop my eyes to avoid his disappointing gaze. “Something came up. I promise it won’t happen again.”

Tommy glances at the clock and frowns. “Wait a minute. Why are you on time, and why are you sneaking in the back door?”

Wringing my hands together, I shuffle over to him. “I’m not always late. Besides, I come in the back sometimes.”

His scowl intensifies. “Since when? What’s going on with you?” He approaches me and holds my chin, looking at my face into the light. “What the hell happened to your cheek?”

I step to the side and push a stack of unmarked shirts off the tweed chair before plopping down. “Okay, listen, I need to tell you something, but you have to promise to keep it a secret.”

Deep-set wrinkles burrow into his tan forehead. “You’ve got one red cheek, a gash on the other, and a cut on your lip. This can’t be good.” I stare at him until he unfolds his arms. “Fine. Who am I to say anything anyway? It’s none of my business.”

That’s good enough for me, so I explain everything. Well, almost everything. About overhearing the two men at the diner, following them to the campsite, and getting busted. I skim over the really, really bad parts, like being tied up, threatened, and almost sliced to death by a limited edition knife I sold him. No use worrying Tommy any more than I have to. When it comes time to explain Mo’s part in the situation, I skip it all together. One of the few promises I’ve kept lately.

Tommy rubs his face. “What were you thinking?”

I massage my head. “I know, it was stupid, but they were talking about bear hunting. And I think they know something about my dad. When Al found his picture in my stuff, he went ballistic.”

Tommy widens his eyes. “And they let you leave? Just like that?”

I shrug and avoid his dissecting gaze. “Yup. That was it.”

Tommy rubs his hands together, as if he’s washing them. “Jesus, Elu. You need to talk to Captain.”

“What? No way! He’ll kill me for following them.”

“Maybe he should.” Tommy stands and paces around the room with his hand cupped behind his neck. “I know you’re going through a lot, but this is getting out of control.”

“You said you wouldn’t get mad.”

“I’m not mad, I’m worried. These guys sound dangerous. We can’t keep this to ourselves.”