On the Other Side

"So how has it been?" Jora asks me over the phone.

It had been a few days since my move, just over a week, and I had finally found some downtime to catch up.  I decide to give Jora a call and she is free thankfully. She is happy to hear from me and we gush over the phone.  

"It's been...good." I say, truthfully. And it has been good. I say that as I sip my second cocktail, dutifully made by Lloyd (a man who apparently wears many hats). I feel  like I am at a five-star resort, except the vacation wasn't coming to an end. This was to be my home for now and the transition, although not easy, is well received. 

"I'm getting to know everyone. It's a bit of an adjustment, going from solo living to now having four houseguests. But everyone has been going out of their way to make me feel welcome." 

"I'm glad you're comfortable."

"I am. Everyone has been really welcoming. Hopefully my mom will fly out soon - and you too."

"Certainly. I have to see this mansion. Howie might just have to kick it up a notch - I want to live in paradise too."

I roll my eyes.

"Yea. Yea. Yea. Give Howie a break. He already has to deal with you 24/7."

"Ouch. I'm hurt. That's why I have my one true love with me - James."

I can picture her planting a kiss on his chubby rosy cheek.

"How's motherhood treating you lately?"

"I am, as always, up to my wrists in dirty diapers. My breasts hurt and my back aches. But, despite it all, I am happy."

"Glad to hear it."

Just then Nina pokes her head through the glass door. She's home from classes and she comes to greet me as she usually does.

"Hey Jora, I have to go now. We will keep in touch. Have a great rest of your day."

"You too."

I end the call just as Nina comes towards me and plops down on the sun lounger besides me.

"Hey!" She says warmly, reaching out to touch my shoulder. "How was the day?"

"It was nice. Restful. And how were classes?"

Nina rolls her eyes and sticks out her tongue.

"You can guess."

"Yea. I feel you on that one" I had officially enrolled in my master's program. I was enrolled in a  hybrid course. The bulk of the classes were online, a mixture of reading, tests, skype sessions, and in-class testing.   My brain is strained now as I have to get used to writing writing essays and preparing essays. Being a student didn't come easy. I feel Nora's pain.

"But it's Friday so I won't have to worry about that until Monday. I was thinking we could go get our nails done."

"That would be nice I said." I looked down at my toes and noticed they could do with a sprucing up. 

"I don't think so. I call dibs on her tonight."

I noticed Darren then coming through the back door. I sit up straight in my chair. I can't help the smile that instantly graces my face. I never realize how much I miss him until I see him. I take him in, suave and debonair, coming towards me with his charming smile. The same smile that made me fall in love with him. 

I move to stand but he puts up a hand, stilling me. He comes to sit on my lounger and I move to make room for him. He leans forward to me and places a swift, brief kiss on my lips.