Boundaries

Eyes still closed, I smile. I remember that I'm not at home. I roll onto my back and glance around the room. Light is pouring in from the window and it looks like a cool, crisp day outside. It is quiet and peaceful and I have no regrets about coming here with Darren. What else would I have been doing? I haven't taken a vacation in ages and this  certainly feels like one. 

I turn over and look at the clock on the nightstand. It's nearly ten a.m. Considering I'm usually up and about at seven, I feel like a sleepy head. I yawn and sit up, stretching. I don't want to get out of bed but it's more than time. 

I find my handy shower cap among my belonging and go into the bathroom, undressing as I go The bathroom is stunning, pristine with elegant fixtures. Clear attention to detail much like the rest of the house. Soaps and body washes were set aside for me on the counter and I use them to lather up in the warm water. I know I should hurry but the scent of pine relaxes me  and the water soothes the aches and pains from yesterday's journey. I ponder about yesterday. Dinner with the family went well.   The meal was yummy, prepared by their personal chef and served to us on a grand dinner table. They had even gone out of their way to prepare my favorite dessert, a yummy chocolate cake. Darren had tipped them off. 

Lucia had even placed the flowers I'd brought her as a centerpiece on the table. Is it to early to say that she liked me? Nina seemed to be rooting for me. Samuel  (who insists on calling me Ellie) seems to tolerate me for now, but I don't think he's made up his mind yet. He had a curious look on his face whenever he would look at me, as if he was trying to restrain himself from telling me something. Overall I admire them all, especially the bond they have with one another. I've never had siblings but I'm sure that we would've been close too if I had one or more. 

I reluctantly step out of the shower when I feel clean enough, dry myself with a big fluffy towel and brush my teeth. My morning ritual completed, I wrap the towel around myself and step out into the bedroom again. I nearly yell from fright when I see Darren's looming figure waiting for me.

"Darren!" I shout.

"Sorry." He says, giving me a toothy smile.

I shake my head while giving myself a mental note to lock the door next time.

"Good morning. Breakfast?" He says. I notice then that he is carrying a tray.

"Aw. How thoughtful." I say, beaming. He places it on the coffee table. 

On a gleaming platter is a pot of tea with a matching tea cup and saucer. Cream and an array of sugar packets complimented the beverage. Yogurt parfait; sliced fruit; and scrambled eggs and toast make the most balanced of breakfasts. This is much better than the bowl of Cheerios I try to eat halfway out the door when I'm going to work. I smile, popping a blueberry into my mouth.

"Yum." I say. I turn to find Darren behind me and I stand on my tip toes to land a kiss on his lips. What was meant to be a peck turns into a full blown kiss. Darren wraps his arm around me and somehow his tongue is dancing along mine. He pulls back and I'm practically swooning. If only I could wake up to this everyday.

"Yes, yum." He says with a smile.

"Couldn't you wait until I got pretty first?" I ask, remembering that I have my shower cap on and my skin is quickly turning ashen from the cool air.

"You look lovely."

"Lies."

He doesn't say anything but simply puts his forehead against mine and we stand for a moment , warming one another with our heat.

"Eat." He says backing up and walking towards the door. "I'll be downstairs. I have a few more things to get to and we'll start our day."

"How long have you been up?"