Whoa

"I don't like the sound of that." Jora says, her nose wrinkling up. 

James is in her lap, gurgling, his chubby hands waving around. He is tugging at Jora's necklace. She looks great, with a cute outfit on and not one strand of hair askew on her head. Jora said that if she was going to go out on the town, she was going to try to keep up her appearance. Most of the time, in the earlier stages, when I went to visit Jora at home she is in sweats with a raggedy shirt that either has breast milk or spit up on it, as disheveled as any new time mother. But with a few months under her belt, she is feeling more and more like her old self, delicately reclaiming herself among the new world of motherhood.  

Jora is no longer on maternity leave and is no longer working. She has decided to stay home with the baby, a move I didn't see coming. Seems that James melted her heart and she was in full mommy mode now, which is okay. Jora has always been a hard worker, but I understand not wanting to leave your newborn after only a few weeks. Her wedding is this weekend. It is going to be a small affair, a small  ceremony by a court appointed officiant followed by a nice reception.  She and Howie will go for a short honeymoon and I jokingly tell her not to get pregnant again. Jora is excited and nervous so I decide to steal her for the moment, for some "bestie" time.

It is a sunny afternoon and we're sitting on a park bench, people watching. We have just had lunch at our favorite burgers and shake joint, and we are enjoying our time together. I was hesitant to tell her about Darren popping the question. I didn't want to steal her thunder, but she, being my best friend, knew something was on my mind and I confessed. She squealed, which made James stare up at her with big baby eyes. After a congratulations and breath crushing hug, I told her about his next question.

She wasn't as excited.

"Why?" I ask.

"I don't know. It just seems like a little fast don't you think?"

I look at her incredulously.

"Coming from the woman who has become a mom and a wife in the same year."

"That's not what I mean, it's just that...where are you going to move to...with his parents?"

"In a mansion."

"Better than a basement. But I don't know El like is that how you want things to go. Was this in your plan?"

I look up at the skies, searching for an answer.

"I don't know." I say. "I didn't have a plan. If you'd told me a year ago I'd be marrying the man of my life I wouldn't have believed you but I am. And I didn't want him to move away and he did. So nothing's really gone according to plan but I'm glad things fell into place the way they have."

It's funny how all the events in you life lead you to a certain point and when you get there you have to wonder: was this this all chance or fate? 

"But now he wants me to move in with him and I'm not sure I want to say no."

We are quiet for a moment.

"But I'll miss you." She says with a sigh.

"I'll miss you too." I say, leaning onto her, putting my finger in Jame's little hand.

"What about your job? How will you manage that?" She asks.

"I have been thinking about that. On one hand I could quit and focus on school. Everything will be provided for so no rent, light bills, electricity, food -"

"But what about your loan, car payments, phone bill. Is he going to be you sugar daddy?"

"No." I reply. "I was thinking of working per diem. Maybe I can work something out with the boss lady. Come work every other weekend just to have a little pocket money."