Chapter 8

Just a quick note to my fellow readers: please don't mind any mistakes in this chapter, I haven't edited it but I plan on doing it as soon as possible.
Anyway, have a nice reading! :)

***

"It's easy to memorize, you're a Valentine girl. Now I'm sure I'm not mistaken." She laughed, clearly relieved. "There aren't many girls with the name Scarlet Rae born on February 14th. But your surname isn't Thirlwall -your original full name is Scarlet Rae Evans. You're the daughter of my affiliates, Yasmin and Edward Evans."

***

The world around me started spinning.

I'm sure that if I wasn't already seated on the couch, I'd have fallen onto it.

"That can't be true." I calmly yet firmly said. "Abigail is my mother, I've been with her ever since I remember being someone in this world." I shook my head.

"I have no doubts about that... And I'm sorry if this is all too sudden. I probably shouldn't have been the one breaking up the news for you, but you scared me back there." She sat on the maple. "I was already calculating all the prejudice I'd have if you weren't the one I thought you'd be."

Linda sighed and took her cellphone out of her briefcase.

"Yes? Millard? Yes, you can come and pick us up now."

After calling who I thought to be her chauffeur, Linda put her cellphone back on where it was and turned to me.

"Now, now. Where were we? Oh, right -your parents." She made and exasperated look. "I don't even know where to start... As you probably understood, Abigail isn't your real mother. I know this is quite a lot for you to process, but I think it's time for you to know these things so that I won't have to bother with it later on. To put it simply, your parents are some elite people on our parallel world and they got into some shady business, putting at risk the desguise that they perfectly created for you years ago -being an only child living with her single mother, Abigail Thirlwall- that now isn't enough to protect you. So, guess what? They asked us for our protection. But in our world protection is one of those things that doesn't come as something cheap. If you want to be protected, the price's gonna be high." She laughed as if she was telling an inside joke. "And by the irony of the destiny, you're the price."

This time, even Isabelle looked surprised at Linda's statement. How could she say something as life changing as this with that monotonous tone?

"That's..." I couldn't even finish my own sentence. "How long were they going to hide that from me? And Abigail? How could everyone just lie straight to my face like this during my whole life?!"

Not trying to dramatize this whole situation, but already doing it... In this case I can say that my whole life has been a lie.

The revolt grew up inside of me as everything and everyone I knew suddenly became uncovered.

"Now that you know the thruth..." She got up from her seat. "It's time to pack." She clasped her hands.

"Why would I pack? I'm not going anywhere!" I opposed, standing up as well. "And we're not done talking! What do you mean when you say that I'm the price? Why marrying your son will protect me?"

"He was right." She sighed. "You're actually quite dumb, aren't you? We're here, apparently wasting our time, trying to help you -as it was your parent's request- and you're just shouting like a spoiled child, asking about everything. Well, Scarlet, let me tell you something -we don't have time, so move your delicate butt and start packing now!"