Chapter 13. Master Disaster

I awake to the sound of birds chirping and the suns rays of light shining on me while the soft wind thrashes gently on my skin. I blink my tired eyes open and see an open window letting the cool breeze inside my room. I sit up with a yawn and look around me curiously.

I'm upstairs in the guest room where I was originally at, meaning Cole probably carried me up here.

My stomach flutters for some unknown reason, but I try my best to ignore it.

I get out of bed and limp down the stairs, still not fully recovered from my flesh wound, and enter the living room. The safe house is still brand new to me but I've come to terms where everything is placed and is located.

"... handle it before Dad hears he is back." Ryder's voice whispers darkly.

"I said I would, so stop pestering me." Cole retorts back.

I limp into the dining area to see Jackson, Ryder and Cole having a deadly stare down.

They clearly notice my presence and turn their attention to me.

"I didn't hear anything!" I blurt out.

"We have to get to school." Jackson murmurs and shuffles past me.

"School? Are you out of your mind, Jacks-"

"We need to stay low, right? What better way than to go to a crowded place?" Jackson interrupts Cole.

"It sounds like a pretty freakin' terrible idea-"

"Ryder?" Cole questions his brother for some moral support.

Ryder sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. After a moment of silence, he drops his hand from his face and grabs and throws Jackson the car keys.

Jackson grins while Cole rolls his eyes and murmurs incoherent words.

Because I am wearing Cole's shirt and joggers, I decided to wash my bloody jeans and cut some more holes in them, to make it appear as though that's how they are supposed to look like. I took a shower, got my clean clothes from the washing machine in the cabin, and then left with the Woods brothers.

Once we arrive at school, I hop out of Jackson's yellow Camaro and limp inside the building, hobbling past every other student and making it to my locker. I shift my weight to stand on my good leg with my arms holding onto a pair of crutches that Ryder lent me since he once broke his ankle. I unlock my locker, about to grab my supplies until someone latches onto my wrist and turns me around.

"Ryder told me to look after you while he heads to his other classes, so it looks like I'm on the school day shift." Cole says.

"We all decided that I would not be having people looking after me-"

"Well, today that rule is nonexistent." He interjects.

I yank my arm out of his grasp and scowl as angrily as I can, refusing to be pampered like some weak child, because I am perfectly fine on my own.

I slam my locker once I get my supplies for outdoor living and head down the hallway confidently.

"Class is actually this way," Cole stifles a laugh from behind me.

I bite down on my cheek, feeling utterly embarrassed. My face heats up as I turn around and march in the other direction with a slight hop in my step since I cannot walk very fast on these crutches.

---

"And that is the term for-"

Lilly raises her hand from her seat in front of me and Mrs. Cuba stops mid-sentence to answer her question.