» 27

(GIA'S POV)

"The fish? Oh yeah, that fish! What fish?"

I look down and see Zach chuckle then his smile slowly begins to fade.

"Gia."

"I'm just playing, Zach." I smile, but sadly, that was somewhat of a lie.

Well, does it count as a lie if the fish is probably dead?

Nah, of course not.

"So how's the fish?" Zach repeats his question. 

"You should really call him and ask."

"OH, ZACH'S GIRLFRIEND HAS SOME SPICE I TELL YOU!" I hear Jack's voice through my phone.

I laugh as Zach turns his head around yelling, "JACK!"

I step out of the elevator and go to the exit.

Right when I look back at my phone, I see Jack grinning.

I just now realized how Jack's teeth reflected the shade of snow.

"Hey, Gia. If you want me to break the dead fish news to Zach, just say the word." He tells me, and I frown.

"I think the phrase would be, 'fresh tuna'." I joke, but regret saying anything once I hear Zach scream, "GIA, YOU DID NOT SAY WHAT I THINK YOU JUST SAID!"

"Let's get some saltine crackers for that fresh tuna." Jack agrees, then Jonah pops up asking, "doesn't tuna come from the fish... tuna?"

"I rather call my dog tuna." Jack responds, not directly responding to Jonah's remark.

"I rather call my cat tuna." Daniel pops in, and by the time I shut my car door, I hear Zach's voice.

"MY FISH!"

"I'll call back when I'm done driving, it'll have to be quick so that the dead fish smell doesn't intensify." I tell the boys, specifically trying to get a reaction from Zach.

Just as planned, Zach yells, "GIA, WHEN I GET BACK IM GOING TO FLUSH YOU DOWN THE TOILET!"

I laugh and then end the call, happy from the call— even if it wasn't orbiting around a good subject.

Which reminds me...

Oh. No.

The fish really is probably dead.

The worry hits me again, since I really can't let that fish die.

The fish is really a child to me.

Huh, that's a good reason to never have children.

Minus the screaming.

...and diapers.

...and more screaming.

AND OH GOD, THE SCREAMING.

Yeah, I'll have 20 children.

I get out the parking spot as quickly as I can, hoping that no fish-funeral is needing to be planned.

//

"OH MY GOD, YOU SCARED ME!" I scream as I look at him swimming.

I immediately go grab the fish food, finally feeding him.

Realizing what has had happened, this must really be what it's like to have a child.

Coming home and getting to scream at a child sounds like fun until they actually begin to hate you.