Painful Surprise

I never even had to open the door to Elizabeth's chamber. She had it wide open.

"No, not that one. That is not suitable for summer and it would be awful in this heat." I heard her voice as I peeked around the corner. She was laying on her side on the bed and looking towards a swim redhead girl that was holding up a golden dress. The girl quickly turned to set the dress in an old leather wardrobe behind her and I noticed a familiarity in her face.

Emily. From the night Nathaniel had first "tested" me.

She scurried to hold up another dress and Elizabeth didn't even say anything, just waved her hand and Emily draped it over one of the posts on her chamber bed.

"I see you've let this go straight to your head." I mused as I walked in. Elizabeth gave me a fake scowl and didn't move from her position on the bed. I sat next to her head and glanced at Emily who was grabbing another light pink gown.

"What is this?" I asked.

"This? Oh I'm going through my wardrobe and letting go of some unneeded gowns. Emily has been tasked to be my personal handmaiden while I'm here. Isn't it great? She's assisting me so that I can have some appropriate gowns for the upcoming games." She smiled as she waved her hand and Emily who glanced at me casually before she tossed another dress on the bed post. Did she not recognize me?

"Games? Here? I don't think there are even any grounds here..." I said curiously.

"Well, I call it games because I suppose sport is more of a man's word. But there is going to be a boxing match, man in man in bare fisted combat! And a cricket match from a few different houses... all while we get to sit lavishly with the king. And it's not here, it's back in his lavish western palace, I would suppose we will be leaving here soon." She grinned wildly and I laughed at her enthusiasm.

"Uh oh." I said shyly.

"What is it?"

"I don't think I was supposed to know. Thaddeus said he had a surprise for me last night, but he wouldn't tell me what it was..." I giggled knowing that I had found out after all, even after I had completely forgotten to ask him.

"Well if he asks, it wasn't me..." She laughed.

Elizabeth lay back and stared up at me.

"So... Thaddeus." She said coyly. I blushed.

"Yes."

"Does he treat you well?" She asked, leaving details out of things. For once I was glad that was all she was asking me.

"Very well." I smiled down at her and she grabbed my hand.

"Truly that matters more than you can appreciate. Harold treats me like a queen and I love him more every day. I hope to show him just how much soon." She placed her other hand on her lower belly.

"Elizabeth are you..?"

"I don't know yet. It's too soon to tell, but I think so. I truly think so." We both smiled for a while and my mind drifted to dark places.

Thaddeus was a vampire. He was centuries old and I didn't even know how it would work with us. Would he tire of me? Would I grow old beside him while he stayed young and youthful. And children... I would have to leave him if I ever wanted to hold a babe in my arms.