Advice

"You're going to bed the king."

Mary's words resonated in my mind repeatedly during the time all of the girls were getting ready. I sat alongside two girls that were both high born. The first, Jacqueline. She had been sent to York by her uncle, in hopes of an English marriage. She was the same age as me, and her eighteenth birthday was the day before mine.

"And the Duke of Cumberland, he is so old! He's handsome, but old. If we were to have children, I fear he may die before they were born!" She laughed hard, stroking her long auburn hair. Her eyes were the same green color as Elizabeth, and it made me miss her slightly less.

Jacqueline said that the Duke of Cumberland had shown interest in her. He was one of the older men at court, a widower without children. He was over twice our age, but well off, and a nice man. She was hesitant to wait for other offers.

"It amazes me, if you had told me a few months ago I'd be thinking about court, marriage, bedding a man... I wouldn't have believed it." I was still in awe that I was here. I hadn't told anyone about my intentions. Mary had instructed me to speak to no on of them, save her and Nathaniel.

I had no idea why I was supposed to do. This was the only time I had even spoken to nobles. I didn't belong here, and it would show quickly. I watched the other girls intently. I studied the way they held their hands, and brushed their hair. I tried to use the biggest words I could think of.

Mistress had taught me many things over the years, and fortunately many of them were about men.

"Always let a man speak first."

"Men must have a purpose in life, if you lead them to believe they are the most important thing, reward them."

"A man will always seek to be better than the man next to him."

"Your virtue is something you can never have returned."

And one thing mistress told me once, when I was fourteen. It was the night one of the cool boys tried to put a had up my skirt. I smacked it away, and he called me a whore. I ran away and cried. Mistress had assured me I did the right thing.

"If there is one thing I can stress to you, my child, it is this. Beauty is power. He will not be the last, and you must learn that your beauty will give you great power."

I never considered myself beautiful until I noticed the looks from all of the knights, the cooks, and the Lord of Wesson himself on more than one occasion. Mistress had always been close, ensuring I was never alone around them, and now I knew why.

I snapped back into reality when Jacqueline handed me her silver brush.

"Yours is quite nice, but try this one. My uncle went hunting somewhere across the sea, and killed a long haired pig. This brush is said to have been made from its tail hair, and will make your hair softer than silk." She smiled, running her hands through her own hair. It wasn't as long as mine, and it looked like it had taken hours to brush. I ran it through my hair, and there was no pain.

"Thank you so much Jacqueline. It's nice to find someone kind." I continued to use the silver brush, and Jacqueline started her powder.

Nearly an hour later, all of the girls were prepped and prepared. The room was a sea of colorful gowns, various hairstyles, and dozens of giggling voices. I caught occasional conversations about various nobles. So many names floated through my head. I tried to eavesdrop on names.

"Lord Vassar is one of the wealthiest lords in the entire country. He has three castles."

"Duke Hawthorne is easily one of the most handsome men in all of court. But they say he would be more maintenance than his own wife were he to have one."

So much gossip in the room, I had to fight back a laugh. Knowing was far more important to me. Suddenly I heard a name that sent a shiver down my spine. I froze, and the rest of the room became silent to me as I leaned back to listen to the two girls behind me.

"The Duke of Wellington has returned to court. It was said he had been traveling all over the sea, and that he brought back only the finest jewels. Wouldn't be a bad one to bed, maybe even marry." The girl giggled. I turned to listen more, but the room grew silent as a loud tapping sound came from the doorway.

"Ladies, please make your way upstairs, the banquet is about to begin." I heard Mary's voice speak. The girls hurriedly exited out the door and into the not tunnel.

I sat and watched as Jacqueline followed the rest of the ladies. I stood slowly, my heart racing for this new experience.

"Nathaniel is waiting for you upstairs. And you look absolutely ravishing Miss Ayla." Mary eyed my dress.

It was red with black over it, and my second favorite of the wardrobe. It appeared dark, and looked almost ridiculous over my white skin. Elizabeth said that it made my eyes and hair stand out amongst anyone in the room. I missed her so much.

I courtesied to her, doing my best to mimic a Spanish girl that looked positively elegant from earlier. Ah raised a brow.

"Maybe my brother did well to choose you. I'd like to give you a few tips before you head up, if that's alright." I nodded my head. Mary cleared her throat.

"Ayla, the king is a very peculiar man. He is a collector of sorts. He likes shiny things, expensive things, and pretty things. You are definitely a pretty thing. You will be noticed by many men at court, but it is absolutely pertinent that you do not show interest. You must appear hard to get, and he will follow." She grabbed my hand and patted it lightly, her silver eyes soft. Playing hard to get wouldn't be hard, especially when I was unsure of what I was even supposed to be doing.

Mary turned her heel and strode quickly out of the room. I followed, picking up my dress. As I walked up the stairs, my mind went blank, and I breathed in the looking scent of food. I can do this.