Sleep

It had been four days since the party. I must have offended Mr. Wellington somehow. I had ended up sharing a quarters with Jacqueline, provided richly by her uncle from France. We were in a separate building as the King. Most of the ladies and frequent lords had rooms in this particular building, and it had seemed this wing was mostly for quarters.

I hadn't heard from Nathaniel, and Mary only stopped by to check on us as her duty demanded. She hadn't made eye contact with me since.

Henry visited Jacqueline and I, and we became quick friends. Jacqueline was very open to his particular needs, and apparently it was a very common thing in France.

"Men even do the same thing to women. I've heard ladies say they quite enjoyed it..." I put my hand over my mouth in shock, and Henry laughed. I glanced at the sunset through the large circular window.

"Well, England needs to follow France. It is quite amazing, I assure you." Henry added. Jacqueline's eyes got wide. I fought back a laugh.

"You mean, you.. you've.." she stammered.

"Yes, I have done it. Similar to when you ladies lost yours. A little pain at first, and then you just want more."

"Mine barely hurt. I think it was from riding horses so much as a girl. I bled years before my maidenhood was lost." Jacqueline giggled.

I remained quiet, basking in the conversation. I had not expected to make friends here. It was a relief. I had been ostracized by my own host, and had offended a wealthy man that was only trying to be kind.

Knock. Knock.

Jacqueline and I practically jumped off of the bed. Henry headed to the door and opened it. Nathaniel was standing at the door.

"My lord." Henry bowed. Nathanial motioned with his hand, and Henry scurried out hurriedly. He peered at Jacqueline, and she stood up, walking out without a word. He stepped in, closing the door behind him.

I was nervous at his presence. He stepped lightly towards me, and sat next to me on my bed. I curled up my knees to my chest, huddling them close to me.

"I am sorry for my absence. But I am bringing you very pleasing news." His tone was soft, almost strained. I said nothing. Nathaniel looked at me, meeting my eyes with his piercing gaze. I could feel my body relax.

He reached in his jacket, and pulled out a small kitchen knife. My eyes got wide, and I backed up towards the head of the bed.

"What are you doing?" My voice was surprisingly calm. He moved closer to me, the knife in his hand.

"Look at me." He commanded. My eyes met his, and I was pulled into them. I couldn't break the gaze.

"Take this knife. Cut your hand." His words came slowly, smooth from his lips.

Cut yourself.

I looked at the knife, and took it from his hand. I held it firmly, just staring for a moment. I then turned the knife towards him. His face looked shocked, and he backed away slowly.

"I don't know what game you're playing.. but I want no part of it. I will leave, and tell no one of this. Just let me go." I held the knife steady towards him. His hands lowered down.

"Oh Ayla." His voice became low, a tone I hadn't heard him use. In a blink the knife was in his hand, and he threw it across the room. He laughed, looking down at me smiling.

My heart pounded through my chest, a surge of fear flooding through me. I looked towards the door, and ran. My feet had barely hit the ground before I was thrust back onto my bed. Nathaniel sat on top of me, holding my arms down by his ice cold hands.

"It had never made sense until now." He said, looking down at me. I tried to move my arms, but it was like they were being held by stone.

"First I thought it was a fluke. That I was hungry, or maybe I was losing my touch." He seemed to be almost talking to himself.

"And then, Thaddeus couldn't even make a move. Oh and the rejection? That was amazing. That made my day sweetheart." His words trailed off into a laugh again. Thaddeus?

His hand quickly moved to my neck, gripping tightly. I couldn't breathe. I tried to scratch or claw him, swiping at his face. His arms were longer than mine. I gasped, fighting the blackness coming in at the corner of my eyes.

"Ssssshhhhh..." I heard Nathaniel whisper.

"Sleep now, it'll all be over soon." My arms dropped to my sides as my vision went black. My ears rang, and I could hear my own heartbeat soften as I was pushed to a world of darkness.