Pain

Pain.

The only word that came to my mind. The only word I could fathom for what I was feeling.

I could smell blood. It was nearly overwhelming. I could feel it. But where?

I can't open my eyes. I try to open them, but they're tired. No. The pain is in my eyes? No. I don't know where the pain is. I try to connect with my body. I can't feel anything.

I imagine my hands, trying to force a sensation. Did I feel a finger move? I could slowly feel my hands. Good. Now for my feet.

Bang.

I heard a noise, but it was muffled... like someone was holding my ears. I sighed and tried to relax despite the pain. I needed to open my eyes.

Slowly, the pain became stronger and I was able to move my feet. I could sense my skin again. I could feel my hands pressed together, something binding them. A rope? It was strong.

I tried to move again and the pain made me scream, but I cut it off when the pain got stronger. It was sharp and radiated from my stomach. With every breath it felt like I breathed in liquid fire. I kept my breaths short and low.

"I'm bloody shocked that the blow didn't kill you. Almost impressed." Said a voice. My ears still rang and I couldn't understand it.

A sharp sting came from my arm suddenly. I screamed inside.

"I know you're awake. I can hear your heart beating." The voice became nearly whole again. I could almost hear completely. I lay still.

"It's astonishing you haven't been screaming this whole time. Draining blood is a pretty painful process." He said softly. I groaned lightly as I felt another cut in my arm. I finally gained the strength to open my eyes and I nearly vomited.

I was laying on a large wooden table with my wrists above my head. My shoulders ached from however long I had been in this position. From where I could move my head all I saw were bruises dotting my skin. My completely naked skin. But it was what I felt that made me fear the most.

Nathaniel stood above me by my arms. He was holding a knife. I could see the blood dripping from the blade. He lowered it to my wrist again and slowly slid the blade across my flesh. I could feel the blood draining onto the wood below my hands. Nathaniel leaned down, his face inches from mine.

"You have a very strong will, Ayla. It excites me for my plan once his blood is drained from you for good." Nathaniel whispered into my ear. "Then you'll be mine to do... whatever I wish." The laugh that escaped him turned my skin inside out with fear. He was draining me of Thaddeus' blood? At this rate he would take all of mine with his.

"Go to hell." I managed to say in between strained breaths. He laughed again and his hand came down hard into my face. I could feel my nose crack. My eyes instantly swelled with tears as a reaction and I spit out the blood that formed in my mouth.

"Hell? Well... here we are." He spun around with his arms stretched. "Thaddeus won't be able to sense you now. In his mind, you're no longer breathing if he can't feel you." He cupped his hand around my neck softly. "Eventually he will tire of searching for his little play thing when he thinks you're dead." He tightened his grip, making my already difficult struggle to breathe nearly impossible. I could see my vision fading to black and I welcomed the darkness. Anything to get away from this nightmare.

"Ah, ah, ah." He released my throat and I inhaled instinctively to regain my consciousness.

"Can't have you missing out on all the fun, can we?" He purred. We? Who was we? I vaguely remember him in the bathroom and then... I was hit on the head. And it wasn't by him. There was someone else helping him.

I strained to raise my neck and look at the room. All I could see was brick wall when I collapsed from weakness. My body was dying.

"Why." I breathed angrily. I coughed and spat blood in the air that landed back on my face. Nathaniel leaned over me and gazed into my eyes. I wished I could vomit, or better yet- die.

"Ayla my dear... I truly wish it were simple. But there is so much to tell." His voice was soft and I hated hearing it. I felt the knife slice my wrist again and I couldn't fight the whimper from my mouth.

"How did you even know..." I breathed. He cocked his head and his eyes grew.

"How did I know he fed you his blood? How did I know he fucked you? Well. The second part was obvious if he had any time with you at all." He rubbed his hand over my naked breast. I closed my eyes tightly and bit my lip to distract from his touch.

"But my game... in the woods. All I wanted was to see if I was right. If he would stoop low enough to feed you. He sensed your fear and he came running. He came quickly I might add... It was obvious. Feeding his blood to your kind... it's absolutely awful." He squeezed my breast hard with his hand. It hurt and I tried to move from his grasp. My legs wouldn't budge.

"I've known Thaddeus for over 500 years and he has never, ever, been soft to anyone. Let alone scum like yourself. I just can't figure out one little thing." I felt his lips on the skin of my neck, trailing down towards my chest.

"How do you exist? It just doesn't make sense." He licked my breast and brought his face back up near mine. If I had anything left in me, I would have bit him. I listened to the anger in his voice. It confused me wildly. Why did he hate me so much? What did I do? I had no family, I had no money. I was nothing.

"Your parents and your brother... they were the last goddamn vermin scum. I made sure of it." My eyes shot open at his words. I stared at him, looking for a reaction. He smiled at my response.

"Oh yes my sweet." His hand cupped my cheek and it took every bit of my strength to shake my head away from his touch. I didn't leave his eyes from my gaze.

"Nearly 18 years ago now. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember the screaming, and the delicious taste of their blood. Your bitch mother... your coward father... and your bastard brother. I ripped their throats out myself."