Twenty-Ninth Day

Twenty-Ninth Day…

Note: Mother is the narrator.

The transplant yesterday evening was too long. My husband and I were so worried about Claude, and for some reason, for the donor too. I don’t know what’s going to happen to the donor after this, but for now, we hope for the best.

It’s strange that Alex didn’t come to visit yesterday. And he’s not even coming today. Hmm… maybe he’s spending the day at the church? He’s probably praying for Claude’s safety.

I cannot forgive the girl. I mean, Alicia. She tricked my son. Claude rarely talked to others; rarely did he like to hang out with people other than Alex. But Claude treated her well, and treasured her. How could she do that to my son? She had no idea what she’s done. She’ll pay for it somehow, some time.

The doctor told us that we can’t see our son for now. But he told us that everything’s stable. That’s a relief.

       “When will our son wake up?” I asked.

       “We don’t know exactly when. It depends on how his body will react to the new heart, and how strong he is. But usually, they wake up within three to seven days.” The doctor replied.

       “Well, how about the donor?” my husband asked.

       “The donor will wake up if he’s strong, and lucky enough. He’ll wake either sooner or later than the patient.”

       “Can we see him?”

       “No. He’s just in as critical condition as the patient. You can only see them either when they wake up, or tomorrow.”

We nodded and thanked the doctor.

My son is a strong kid, I know it.

He was able to survive from CHD in almost 17 years. So he’ll pass through this. I just know it. Chris- my husband hugged me. Well that’s just to comfort me.

       “You know, Chris… you’re right after all. This wouldn’t have happened if we didn’t allow him to see Alicia.” I said.

       “That’s enough. It’s done, and we can’t change everything. The important thing is for Claude to be safe.”

I nodded.

I daydreamed that after this tragedy, when Claude finally wakes up, we’ll travel really far! We’ll travel with Alex, and we’ll have so much fun. I’ll cherish my son from that day on. I love my son so much.

       “Claude… please wake up soon…” I whispered.