Fourth Day

Fourth Day...

This is it. Today's the Valentine's Day.

There were no classes since there would be a party in the evening, and the school would have to prepare for the occasion.

I kept myself inside my room for three hours after waking up. I didn't know how to face my parents. I didn't know what kind of face to show. I didn't want to think about the 'another child' thing. They had kept it from me for 17 years. So I think it's up to them to figure out themselves that I already had a feeling about this, and to tell me about it whenever they're ready to open up.

At last I starved and went out of my room. Mom followed me with her eyes, I could feel. Dad's already off to work.

        "Mom, I'm sorry for locking the door yesterday. I know that's rude." I said.

I actually didn't understand why I had apologized suddenly. I was still feeling a little disappointed with them, but as a son, I still thought that what I did yesterday was not right. After all, I still made a mistake since I sneaked into their room.

        "I understand, Claude. I'm sorry too. I didn't want you to see us fighting like that. That won't happen again."

        "Thank you," I replied.

 I knew she wasn't done. She sat on a chair against mine and stared at me. I didn't look. I knew she was going to say something.

        "What were you doing in our room last night?"

        "I... I was just looking for something. And I knew you'd think I was stealing something so I hid under your bed. I'm sorry."

        "What were you looking for?"

        "I was looking for my things when I was a kid."

        "Oh," Mom laughed in relief, "if that's so, you could've just asked me."

I nodded. But as I glanced up at her, I felt some strange feeling. It's like she's hiding something, and she's relieved that I wasn't after whatever she's hiding. But I didn't know if I was right, or maybe this was just all in my head.

        "What time will the party start? You should get ready." Mom said.

        "It will be at 5. I'll get ready in the afternoon, after lunch."

  I didn't know what to think of first. Should it be about Alicia's decision or Mom's secret? Well, I said earlier that I didn't want to think about it. I calmed myself and prepared my things. I received a message from Alex, saying that we'd just see each other at school.

  After a few hours, I got fixed up and I was all ready to go to party. Mom said 'good luck', and I went off. But then on my way, I received another message from Alex, saying he couldn't come. I was shocked, of course. What? He'd leave me alone? What if Alicia rejected me, then I'd really be a lonesome idiot in the middle of the party. 

        I'm sorry, Claude. You'll have to go alone. I can't go. My mentor pushed me to join the soccer tournament, and that means I have to leave tonight. I can't reject him, though. Sorry. I wish you good luck with your lady.

 I hated his mentor. But more so today. This was Alex's night. What the hell was that stupid mentor thinking? He really didn't care one bit about Alex. He shouldn't have adopted Alex. No, I was getting angry again. I should calm down. I could do this without him. I sure hoped he's fine.

  After few minutes, I finally arrived and got unused to the school's fresh and sweet look. There were hearts all over the place and red curtains and carpets. That was just a sudden amazement that came to an end when I realized that Alex wouldn't see this. I entered the school and saw my schoolmates look so wonderful that it seemed like they had transformed. So this was what it's like whenever there is a party. I got excited at the thought that Alicia could be prettier than usual.

  I walked near the stage, hoping to see Alicia from there. It was just then that I noticed some of my schoolmates were looking at me and whispering something I couldn't hear. Then a lady I hadn't seen before approached me.

        "Are you a freshman student, a transferee? I haven't seen you before in our campus."

        "Oh, I am a freshman. I also haven't seen you around before."

        "What's your name? I'm Noemi, a second year student of Business Administration."

        "I'm Claude. Claude Leonardo, a student of Medicine. It's nice to meet you." I said.

She shook hands with me. I felt kind of odd. That was the first time that someone approached me like this.

        "Say, Claude, do you have a date tonight?"

        "I, I guess so."

I didn't actually know what to say. You see, I still hadn't gotten any response from Alicia. But startlingly, someone held my arm and said, "Hey, here you are!"

  I looked at her, and it's Alicia. She was smiling at me, and looked at the lady named Noemi.

        "So, you really have a date?" Noemi asked.

        "W-well."

        "Oh, yes! Claude, I just wanted to tell you that I agree to be your date tonight," Alicia said.

Noemi looked a little embarrassed.

        "Oh well, freshman, I'll just see you around some time. It's really nice to meet you."

Then she went away.

        "Is she mad?" I asked.

        "Don't mind her. You have me, so don't worry."

I looked at her and she smiled at me.

        "Haha! This is your first time, right? I assure you that you'll enjoy this night."

        "Thanks... I'm glad you're my date tonight. And you... really look so pretty as always."

I suddenly felt awkward. What did I just say?

        "Thank you. You look so good tonight as well. Formal attires totally suit you, Claude," she said sweetly.

Oh... Why did Alex have to miss this night? He could've seen how sweet this lady is. I'd probably enjoy this night.