Second Day

Second day...

  P.E. class is today and my athletic best friend's rocking it. I was only watching them from afar, though. 

  I stayed sitting on the bench while Alex's playing soccer. He's really having so much fun. He didn't play too long and came to where I was seated.

        "Done so fast!" I said.

        "Yeah, I'm tired," he said.

I smiled, but I knew he was not tired yet. I knew that he did that so I wouldn't feel too outcast sitting alone here. But I really didn't want him to worry about me. He's acting too much like an overly concerned dad.

        "You should play you know? It's fun watching you beat them." I said.

        "No, really, I'm tired. Let's just eat! Come on!" Then he grabbed his bag and started to walk away. I followed him.

   In the cafeteria, he told me about the upcoming school party.

        "School's out on Friday. You're coming, right?"

        "I didn't know about that. What's the occasion anyway?" I asked. I really wasn't the type to know about this kinds of events.

        "Hello? February 14 is Friday. Are you really that much of a bookworm to forget about the date?"

        "Oh, Hearts Day. I forgot. Are you going? That's not so important to me. I don't have anyone to date anyway," I said.

        "Are you nuts? You can't leave me alone!" Alex protested.

        "Come on, man. Who're you dating, though? There's someone you have your eyes on, right? The one you were talking about last week?"

        "I'm too shy to ask her out, so I'll be her secret admirer for now! Haha!"

        "Yikes! Not your style, dude!"

        "This is a man in love, Claude!"

  Suddenly, a picture of Alicia appeared in mind. That's right, I had someone special. What if I asked her out? But would that be fine? But did I have the nerve to ask her directly? Nah.

        "You know, Alex, I might actually have someone that I want to date on Friday," I said.

  Alex's jaws seemed to drop.

        "Wait. What?! That's good news! You're finally learning to socialize! Well tell me about her, Claude."

I chuckled. His reactions were exactly as that of a doting dad's, really! I narrated how I met her. I was happy to tell him how attractive she was to me. But I forgot to tell him her name.

        "Then date her, Claude! Your parents are going to be so happy."

        "I don't know if I can do it."

        "Okay, why don't you send her a letter? Or an email?"

I thought what he suggested was cool, and that'd be easier for me. I decided to do just that. I felt kind of excited, but scared of course, because she mightn't respond. This was the first time that I would do something like that, so I really was nervous.

        "I know how you feel, dude. Don't worry, I'll help you out. Let's do the dating lesson later!" Alex said.

I laughed. What a crazy friend! A nice and crazy friend, though.

        "Okay. Thanks, Alex."

  During break time, Alex helped me with the right words to write in the letter. Then after break, in the art club, I was able to put the letter secretly inside her bag.

        "Hi Claude!" She greeted with a smile. I almost jumped out of nervousness.

        "Oh, hey. Have you heard about the event this Friday?" I asked.

        "Yeah, are you coming? Well, you should!"

  I agreed. That just made me a lot more excited, especially hearing those words coming from her mouth. It's embarrassing to say, but I had never attended any Valentine's party before.

        "Have you ever attended school parties before?" I asked.

        "Yes! I never missed a single school party," she replied.

        "You must really love parties," I said.

        "You're right. It's a way to meet new people. I enjoy attending them a lot."

  I nodded. But I really couldn't understand what's enjoyable about parties. Well, maybe I would, this Friday. I wondered how it would be like, especially when she finally approves my letter.

  Having no idea about parties, Alex decided to help me with picking an attire.

        "It's kind of embarrassing, Alex!" I complained.

        "Don't worry! If your girl's used to this, I'm sure she'll find you attractive!"

 I smiled with satisfaction. Alicia is a really nice lady, so I shouldn't be worried. But I wondered if she would accept my letter. It would be embarrassing if she wouldn't. Alex's efforts would go to waste.