Chapter 27

It was Ezra's idea to spend the night at Jai's Shack; the tavern being the only one that was open and not deserted. Early the following morning, the men would wave goodbye to Shedahr, and hit the road for the next part of their journey.

The rest rooms at the tavern were dark and musty, beds damp and lumpy, so they dropped their bags and went for the Inn.

The men ate from a giant plate of wild meat pie, covered in lashings of sweet gravy. Chicken legs surrounded the platter

They fed and watered and warmed their stiff bones next to the big open fire that was crackling in the centre of the inn, ghostly silhouettes flickered about the interior décor. The others lay back, deep into their worn seats with weary bodies and tired eyes, as Ezra chewed on a huge greasy chicken leg.

"I think I get an early one, aye." Raygar rose to his feet, stretching his limbs like a cat. "See you early." He said, as Ezra dropped the remainder of his bony carcass into his food bowl with a clink, licking his slimy fingers as he watched the dark figure take his leave for the evening.

"I don't trust that one." The big man leant on his elbows, eyeing the exit over his interlocking knuckles as the door slowly closed on its hinges.

Logan sat forward. "What's wrong with him, Ezra?"

"I think he's lying to us." His chair creaked as he relaxed, pressing his body against the back rest. "And I don't know why, but he's been trying to slope off early all evening."

"What do you think he's been lying about?" Logan asked.

Ezra twisted in his chair, looking towards the bar. He thrust an arm into the air, clicking a fat finger and thumb. "Another round of ale over here." The bartender gave him a curt nod, then he turned back to Logan. "I asked him all sorts of questions about Uscarix. He gave the impression he barely knew the place."

"Don't forget he was only young when he escaped, Ez." Symon added, in the man's defence.

"Yeah I know," He removed his black bandana, revealing a tightly-shaven head underneath. "But there's definitely something shady about him. I ain't sure what it is yet, but I'll find out soon enough."

"Don't go busting his balls just yet, we might need him tomorrow." Logan said.

Symon was cleaning one of the lenses from his glasses on a napkin. "Yes, I don't expect the Professor to roll out the red carpet when we arrive."

"Don't worry. I won't upset the apple cart just yet." Ezra conceded, as the bartender emerged, delivering three heavy mugs of ale with froth slopping over the rim as he placed them on the wooden table top. "I'll square up with you later boss." Ezra winked at the man as he gently scraped the spillage onto the floor using a beer mat.

"No problem mate." He returned to his post at the bar as Ezra clutched the big handle on the side of his mug, lifting his ale to his mouth, and pausing momentarily.

"To the Goddess." He declared, grinning over the white scum at Logan, then he threw the thick brown contents into his mouth. A trickle ran down his chin, navigating a winding path through his rough beard and dripping onto his chest. Logan and Symon watched as he drained the entire contents of the mug in one go, slamming the empty mug down onto the table as he released the pressure in his stomach with an almighty belch. "Damn good ale! Shame they don't got none of this local shit back home, instead of the sour piss that they sell," His body twisted in agony as he struggled to release another belch from the depths of his gut. "Although I may never leave the pub if they did."

"It's a bloody zoo you should be in." Logan commented on his animal mannerism, then took a swig from his frosty glass.

"Ha! They'd need a damned strong cage to keep me behind bars." He beat a fist against his chest.