Chapter 34

Ezra had already made preparations with Father Demetri, an old priest in Nidrahni, in the event of his death. He had previously organised and paid for his body to be incinerated, and he had even supplied Demetri with a decanter of brandy for those who attended, to remember him with a sharp, body warming drink. He had boomed with mischievous laughter whilst filling the decanter, as his favourite tipple was cheap and tasted of rotting fish. He could only imagine the twisting faces of his funeral guests after they had downed the vile liquid. He didn't want his memorial day to be ruined with over-seriousness so he had hoped this little addition would inject some humour into the occasion.

It was a short ceremony, with only Rhea, Willard and Symon in attendance. The priest added a story or two from when Ezra was young. His grandmother had attended Demetri's Church of Lunis for decades and was well known to the priest. He also added a prayer for Oscar's passing. The three weary compatriots stood huddled together before the altar, listening quietly as Demetri gave his final blessing to the great Landana, who was resting in a huge cremation casket behind.

"...And it is on this sad day, that we must say our final farewell to our Brother Ezra." Demetri said. "But we shall remember his pure heart, and his devotion to his friends and family. Lunis breathes life onto this planet, and we have gratefully received Ezra for his term here. But now, our Lord Lunis has opened his orbiting arms and claimed back his son. May you rest in eternal peace, my son," Demetri gestured for his small audience to join in, before continuing. "Farewell Brother Ezra."

"Farewell Brother Ezra." The others added together.

"If you would like to individually come forward for the honouring." Demetri gestured to the three small glasses filled with brown gunk on the altar upon where Ezra lay in his open casket. Symon stepped up first, taking a glass and climbing the high Honouring Step so he could see his best friend easier. His eyes immediately welled up, and his lip began to quiver.

"I'm sorry...Ezra. I'm sorry I wasn't...with you." He cleared his throat and wiped his eyes on a sleeve. "Ezra, my friend, I honour you." He threw back the liquid, and cast his moist eyes back onto the body of Ezra, suddenly grimacing as the foul flavour saturated his taste-buds. "Ezra..." He began, with a sickly grin. "...You bastard!" He chuckled to himself. "I can't believe you made me drink that sludge!" He paused momentarily as the emotion of the occasion hit him once again. "I'm going to miss you brother. I hope to see you soon." He gave his friend a final nod and turned, stepping down from the platform and sliding the glass back onto the altar tray with the others. Willard walked past him on his way to the altar, patting him on the shoulder as they passed.

"You alright, Symon?" Rhea asked.

The electronics wizard bobbed his head frantically, trying to prevent the threatening tears from falling. "I'm just going to miss him."

Rhea caught him in her embrace as his tears began to fall. She hugged him tight. "We're all going to miss him Symon. He's left a huge Ezra shaped hole in this world that will never be filled." She released him as Willard dismounted the Honouring Step, and walked back towards them. "I'll be back in a moment." She gently ran a hand along his check, then strode forwards to the open casket, grabbing the remaining glass on the way. She climbed the step and looked down at the man who had cared for her from such a young age. He had never really explained what had happened to her parents, only that they had died when she was very young. Ezra had taken it upon himself to bring up the remaining daughter of one of his closest companions. "Ezra," She began. "I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am to you." She placed a hand on his stubble head. "You gave me a chance at life, and for that, I honour you." She thrust the brandy into the back of her throat and swallowed it with a struggle. After a momentary pause, she removed her hand from his head. "That was a cruel trick." She smiled, then composed herself to continue. "I'll make them pay for this Ezra. Then I'm gonna buy you some real brandy, Ok?" She paused briefly. "I'm gonna miss you. You never pretended either way, but to me, you've always been my father. I love you, dad." She bent to kiss him on the cheek, then turned and stepped down to re-join the others. She looked over to Father Demetri. "How long do we wait until the ashes are ready?"

"The casket will remain in the chamber for at least two hours," He replied, eyeing the incineration chamber behind. "It will take perhaps another hour to prepare the urn."

Rhea nodded. "Thank you Father. I'll be back later."

"Farewell my daughter, may peace remain within your soul."

Rhea turned to face Symon and Willard. "I'll pick up the urn when it's ready," She said. "Meet me later at the Garden of Lunis. I want to scatter his ashes over the garden that his Grandmother tended. I think he would like that." Willard and Symon both nodded their approval.