Chapter 26

It took a few hours to reach the ancient port town of Crux; the maglink station's gruesome stone archway as uninviting as the abundance of Malikai swarming around. As the carriage slowed to a halt, Rhea broke her reverie. It was a reflection of disappointment. Firstly, for missing out on the action in Alundra, and secondly for being ordered to spend such a long ocean voyage with Blythe.

"I'm so excited about this trip!" Blythe announced joyfully, skipping through the opening carriage doors onto the waiting platform.

Rhea rolled her eyes in irritation as she pulled on a long, grey coat. Yeah, me too. She sighed, heartened by the feel of the two blades concealed within the garments lining.

It was only a short distance to the pleasure cruiser's telescopic gangway, slowed only by Blythe's insistent dawdling, taking time to marvel at the grandiose architecture of the old station. It gave Rhea the chance to study their surroundings, puzzled by the activity around the port. She'd expected Crux to be busy, but not with such a military presence. Huge naval vessels were docked beyond their ferry, with cannons and mortars like some sort of battleship. Officers in crisp white uniform and seamen in drab overalls were lined up, boarding one-by-one. In the parking compound adjacent, truckloads of soldiers ambled patiently.

What on Eridanus is going on? Rhea wondered. Is the Malikan Army preparing a mass invasion somewhere? An army exodus of this scale could work in their favour when they returned to pay President Malik a visit. A malevolent grin stretched across her cheeks. Her boots clumped against the metal gangway as she made her way to the small guard station.

The attendant ran an appraising eye over Blythe's curves, smiling at her tight pink top. As Blythe flashed her ticket in the face of the attendant, Rhea glanced at her own reflection in the booths window. Her newly trimmed hair barely reached her shoulders, and the powerful red had been dulled with black dye. A tinge of crimson shimmered in the light, and with her hazel eyes, gave a somewhat exotic appearance.

She'd convinced herself that the change had nothing to do with Blythe; the hair of her acquaintance more a gingery red. Rhea couldn't deny the girl was beautiful, and every man she looked at was enchanted by her seductive smile. She definitely knew how to get what she wanted, and she was damned good at it. Grudgingly, Rhea could understand why Logan liked her, and that just made her dislike the girl even more.

"Ticket please," the attendant ordered.

"Why's the army here?" Rhea asked, handing over the requested item.

The man shrugged, casting a carefree glance over her shoulder at the mass of Malikan sailors. "Beats me miss," he yawned. "I just collect tickets for the cruiser."

"It's classified..." came a voice from behind, causing both Rhea and the ticket handler to turn. The sailor gave Rhea a sleazy grin. "But hey...perhaps over a dinner date, it might slip out...?" His spotty-faced side-kick guffawed alongside.

"No thanks." she answered, turning back to collect her stamped ticket in disgust. She could hear the men giggling as she caught up to Blythe.

"Your loss..." cried the sailor, his disheartened words lost in the whistle of the sea breeze. The double-doors of the Luxenstrom Pleasure Cruiser swung shut behind Rhea.

Glancing at a map on an inside wall, it was apparent that the cruiser had eight levels. The lowest two consisted of crew quarters and an engine room. Decks three to five were passenger cabins, and six to eight were packed with leisure facilities. A display table to the side was littered with colourful leaflets and discount cards, all advertising luxurious offerings; award-winning restaurants, bars, shops, cafes, gyms, casinos, even a theatre. Rhea had little interest in visiting them, but knew being confined to a tiny cabin for almost two days would prove arduous.