Chapter Nine - Will It Get Better?

"Alice?" a disembodied voice asked, "Alice... are you okay?"

My eyes opened, literally and metaphorically as I saw Alex in a new light, spawned by the vision that had ravaged my mind.  Quickly, I backed away, my breath rising and falling in a panicky fashion.  My eyes stared wide in stark horror.  He looked confounded, the blue eyes filled with confusion.  The girl he had just kissed had, one, collapsed, and two, was backing away, terrified.

I stammered over my words, my heart thumping in my chest, "M-Murder.. Murderer"

Every time my eyes flickered over his defined face, I saw the image of him bathed in blood, organs and decapitated heads on the ground around him like plants.  I could see the evil, curved grin that marked his beauty with the label of frightening.  My hands shook, and I could feel the sweat drip from my forehead.

"Alice?" he came closer, and I could see the innocence in my eyes.

I almost let it fool me, almost let him in, but instead stood my ground, clambering to my feet.  My eyes focused sharply on his own, searching deep into the soul and confusion that mirrored my own.  His hand stretched to rest on my shoulder, startling me.  Without realising, I sent him falling out of the treehouse.  I saw his hand, holding onto the wood for dear life, and looked over.  His legs swung loosely, like a monkey's, and his bespectacled eyes held terror within them.

"Alice!" he cried, "For God's sake, help me!"

My mind and heart debated; yes, he was a killer, but he didn't remember that anymore.  He was no longer that person.  On the other hand, he could remember at any time, and think it was time to return back to that state.

I chewed my lip, then knelt down, grabbing his wrists.  He looked shaken as I pulled him up telekinetically, he landing against me.  He was physically trembling, and I could not ignore the fact that his lips were once again inches from mine.  He pushed away from me, cowering in the corner, eyes narrowed.

"Y-You pushed me..." he sounded hurt.

I stammered, "I didn't mean to... I-I-"

"Lost control?" he interrupted, voice sharp with rage, "Bullshit."

Ashamed, I looked down, "Lex... I would never hurt you... N-Not purposely."

"Who am I?" he said in a demanding tone.

My heart sunk, "I-I don't know."

"You're lying to me..." he glared, "Why are you lying to me?"

I fibbed, "I am not."

"Liar!" he exclaimed, "What did you see?"

To shut him up, I practically pounced on him, my lips attacking his.  He hesitated for a second, then kissed back, his hand reaching my cheek.  His other hand buried itself in my hair, and pulled me closer.

Wow, I mused, This is definitely better than before...

We were a tangle of limbs, my hand skimming over his chest.  He gained leverage and flipped up, making me hit my injured back rather fiercely against the floorboards.  I hissed a breath in, and the lust in his eyes instantly vanished.

"A-Al?" he looked as if he had been struck, his gaze stark as he realised how we were tangled together, a mess of limbs, heavy, panting breaths released into the air between us.

I groaned, the agony shooting further through my battered limbs, then lied, "I'm fine."

"You are not fine, Alice Faramino!" he raised his voice, anger beaming through his tone.