Chapter One - Evanescent

Have you ever felt different?

I can say I've had my fair share of social prejudice, mixed with rumors and lies, even betrayal.  Okay, so first things first. I am Alice Faramino. I am seventeen years of age, and have raven black hair, with eyes a dark brown. I have a boyfriend, his name is Josh, and contrary to popular belief, I am not very smart. I am useless at maths, and I get cyberbullied. My dad beats me and blames me for everything. I'm also a psychic. I see into the past, not the future and I can move things if I get really angry. I guess I mean, I'm not perfect. I will never be.

I sighed and scrumpled up my essay.  I was crap at writing.   I was crap at everything, really.  I sighed, spinning in my chair.  It always perplexed me how obnoxious guys could be.   How hurtful.  I disliked my Dad with a passion, but I still never hated him.

  I got out of my chair and looked at my calender.   It was June 5th.  Running my hands through my hair, I smiled and fell back on my bed.  Sure, my life had it's little imperfections, but I had to put my brave face on.  I had to be strong, if I wasn't people would see the cracks.  That was something that was unspeakable in my school, even if it was true.  Then, I heard the familiar buzzing of my cellphone.  I looked around the room; where was it?

  It buzzed again, leaving me frustrated.  I jumped up and opened my drawer- not there.  Then, I saw the phone on top of my books.  I ran over eagerly and picked up.  It was Josh.

"Hey, J!" I answered, curling back onto my bed and playing with my hair.

"Hey, babe.  Look, I need to see you, can you sneak out?" he asked, his voice gruff.

"Oh, I dunno, you know how my Dad gets... He's possess-protective." I thought carefully about my words.

"Oh, please?  Al, I need to see you baby..." he put on his pleading voice.

"Okay... I'll try.  I love you, J," I replied, giving up.

"I love you too, baby." he responded.

I put down the phone and quickly got dressed, pulling on my denim jacket.  I sped to my window and opened it telekinetically.   I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of heights.  I warily climbed down onto the windowsill, careful that I didn't plummet to my death.  But, who would care if I did?  I shook away the thought and grabbed the pipeline.  I shimmied down it, landing on my ass as I reached the floor.

"Ow..." I whispered, then clambered to my feet.

That had been undignified.  I broke into a run as I felt the need for Josh.  The cruel wind smashed against my skin, almost tearing at it.  I was almost at J's house, yet I was exhausted.  I stopped to catch my breath, then ran some more. 

I finally reached Josh’s porch. I knocked frantically, trying to catch my breath again. Josh answered. He had sandy brown hair and blue eyes that illuminated his sun-kissed face. I took deep breaths.

"Jesus, Al, you look like you’ve ran a marathon!" he put his hand on my back, gently rubbing.

"I ran…. all... the way... here." I breathed, my face flushed with heat.

"Come in…"  he helped me.

I heard the door close as I flopped onto the sofa. He went into the kitchen and poured me a drink. His parents were in Spain, they left him alone most of the time.

He brought the drink through and placed it to my lips. It was Fanta; my favourite.

"I can drink, you know." I said, a cynical smile curving my lips.

"I know, but I like treating you." he leant down and kissed me.

"I just like you!" I whispered back.

He pulled back and pouted, “Only like?"

"Okay, I love you, J!" I grinned, kissing his soft lips again.

"I love you too, Princess."

I kissed his nose, then sat back up.

"Anyways, how’s your English essay going?" he asked.

"Uh, crappy," I laughed.

I hadn’t told him about being a psychic then.

"Oh, same," he laughed, sounding nervous, “Anyways, did you have to run over here?"

"If I used the car or the motorbike, Dad would’ve killed me." I frowned.

Literally, I thought to myself.

"Ah…" he nodded.

"Oh, did you hear there’s a new student at school?" I asked.

"I didn’t, no." he nuzzled my cheek affectionately.

"Yeah, his name’s Alec or Alex or something," I ran my hand through his hair, inhaling his scent.

He snickered, his lips lingering dangerously close to mine, "Oh well. Good for him."

Before we could kiss, an angry knock was at the door. I got up.

"Shit, it’s my Dad!" I said, afraid.

"Alice! Come out, right now!" he shouted.

I opened the door.  Josh came and stood beside me.

"Alice, did I tell you that you were allowed out?" he seethed.

"I-I..." I bowed my head.

"Come now!" he growled.

"No, she doesn’t have to!" Josh shouted.

Dad punched him hard, knocking him to the ground.  Tears rose in both Josh and I’s eyes. Dad then grabbed my hair. I screamed, struggling against his painful grip. The whole neighborhood feared Dad, they wouldn’t do anything about it. He dragged me back to the house, almost pulling out my hair. He had done it in the past. I felt physically sick that he could hurt his own kid like this. He chucked me on the ground, my fragile bruises touching the bristly carpet. He rose his hand.

"Stop screaming, bitch!" he snarled.

I was crying hysterically, the pain of betrayal hurting more than anything. He slapped me hard, the pain like a whip, agonizing. I was choking on my tears uncontrollably. He hit me again, making me release a piercing scream.

"Do not ever go out without my permission again, bitch!" he yelled.

"Okay, okay! I’m sorry!" I sobbed.

He left me on the floor, bruised and sobbing, my heart wrenching. I wanted better, not this. I deserved better.  I curled up, hugging myself.  My face was wet with running mascara, I looked a mess.  And I was.