My Name

My POV:

I had my bow and arrows slung over my shoulders. My orange-brown hair hung loosely around my shoulders. I don't know how I got this bow, I just know it was with me when I needed it.

I lived alone in the cold, unforgiving wilderness. I've been here as long as I can remember. My horrible parents must've dropped me off somewhere to die. But me, being the clever child I was, managed to eat grass and edible plants. It wasn't a very stable diet, so when I turned five, I was so hungry I couldn't stand up right. 

Thats when I got my bow. It just appeared on my back. I looked at it through teary eyes, and managed to grab one of the arrows. I didn't know how to work the bow at the time, but I managed to spear a rabbit with the arrow.

Ever since then I have been able to hunt for my food along with eat the edible plants. 

Now to another matter. No I am not naked. I used to spy on humans when I was younger. I used to wonder if I should go up to them and ask for shelter or food, but I noticed they had something I didn't. Clothes. So I stole a pair of blue jeans and a t-shirt along with some undergarments. 

I'm glad I didn't go to the humans and asked for shelter. I watched other towns sometimes and saw how the parents would sometimes scold the children or hit their bottoms, and saw sometimes how people would be shoved or pushed down at places that were apparently called schools. I wanted to help them, but I didn't know how. 

I never left the small ground near the river, so now, at the age of 15, I don't know any other ways of life besides mine, and the humans. Now you may be wondering how I saw them from one small spot and why I stayed here. 

I would be able to look at the people from the tops of trees. They were interesting and I was learning a skill at the same time. Tree climbing. I found it was an entertaining pass-time. 

I never left because I used feel as if it was enchanted. Like no one would find me, nothing could hurt me. Like I was inside my own little orb.

The only disruption was about a week back, a girl was walking through the woods. I noticed her coming because of the twigs snapping. I stopped from collecting water and quickly climbed a tree. My eyes peered through the pine tree branches and at the girl. She had straight brown hair and from what I could tell, green eyes. 

I went into defensive mode. My trusty bow appeared on my back giving me some power over this human. She noticed the small canteen and tent that I 'borrowed' from an area where the humans slept, along with the lighter I use for fire. 

She made a move towards the tent and I jumped out of the tree, landing in a perfect crouch. 

She screemed but stayed put. I decided to talk to her. I only was able to pick up a few words from the humans but that would have to do. 

I stood up tall and opened my mouth "This mine." I said in a smooth voice, even though I probably haven't spoken in two weeks. 

The girl looked confused so I pointed to the tent. She opened her mouth into a small o and spoke quickly. "Oh, i'm sorry! I didn't mean to, uh, well... I just decided to take a walk and I thought this stuff was so cool. I've never been camping. Is it nice?" 

I cocked my head to the side at this new word. Camping? 

She noticed my confusion and looked surprised. "Your not camping." I didn't reply. Why should I tell this person anything about my life? "Oh, i'm sorry, where are my manners? My name is Lyra. Whats yours?" 

Name? Whats that? "Whats name?" I asked. She stared at me with her mouth open. "You don't have a name?" 

I shook my head no. I expected her to look at me strangely and run away, but instead she smiled widely and said, "We'll have to change that, won't we?" 

Ever since then Lyra has been coming to my 'camp' as she called it, and she taught me some more english and we would think of names for me. 

I thought of the name Iris, but she just shook her head. 'You don't look like an Iris.' She recomended Aislynn, but I said no. After about three days she came up with a name 'Ara.' Thats nice. I thought. simple, so I won't forget and pretty like a star. 

"I like that name." I said, proud of my improvement in language. She smiled hugely at me. 

"Great! So Ara, do you live out here in the woods?" Lyra and I have grow close as friends over the past few days. She would always come when the sun was at it's highest and leave when the sun was setting. 

 "Yes. I have all my life." I respnded.

"Woah. Where have you been in the forest? Have any bears come to attack you? Do you move around?" She asked quickly.

I felt a sudden flash of embarassment. I have never left, nothing has ever come to harm me, and I only stay here. I told her just that.

She stared at me dumbfounded. "What? You never left... and your fifteen?" I nodded my head sheepishly. The sun started to set behind the horizon. "Oh! I need to go. See you tomorrow?" She asked. Lyra got up and ran away back to her home with me staring after her. 'Maybe I should leave... just to explore the forest.' I thought.

And with that thought I stood up, packed a sack of a few things including my lighter, full canteen and rope, and took my first step out of the boundries.