Hunt

I stepped over the border and froze. The forest that was once lively with the chirp of birds hushed. I contiued my slow pace through the woods. I have never heard it be this quiet before, and it scared me. Even my silent footsteps seemed to be loud in this.

Then I heard it. The crunching of approaching footsteps pricked my ears. I stood silent. The footsteps stopped and I still stood frozen.

Then it happened. A running... thing was coming for me. I didn't have time to realize what it was as I began running. As I grew more and more desparate, the faster and faster I ran. But it wasn't enough. The monster kept bounding after me. I stopped to get some air, but I had a small advantage of speed so I was at least 100 meters away from the monster, but he was approaching fast. I ried to keep running but my legs felt like lead. I struggled but the monster ran faster seeing that I wasn't moving.

50 meters.

I managed to take a step but that was all I could muster.

40 meters.

I realized that the only way to stop him was to shoot him.

30 meters.

I pulled the bow from around my shoulders and held it facing the target.

20 meters.

I pulled the string of the bow back to the corner of my mouth and centered the arrow. The sun glinted off of my bow beautifully.

10 meters.

I released the arrow and watched it soar into the beast. He fell to the ground heavily making the ground vibrate. The excitement of the chase made me smile.

The monster evaporated into yellow dust that smelled like sulfur. The last thing I remember of the moster was it's one, big, brown eye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had been traveling for a day or two now. I slept in the trees and hunted animals, but I couldn't find my camp again.

The forest seemed like a laybrinth. You go one way, you turn around, the way that you came looks nothing like it did. I was lost.

Suddenly an arrow whizzed past my ear. I whipped my head in the direction of the shooter, but I saw only trees and bushes. I walked silently to the edge of the thick bushes and peered through the branches. I gasped art what I saw.

About fifteen boys and girls stood in a spaced line attempting to shoot the target from where htey were atanding. Some had poor posture, other had exellent posture. Some missed the target competely while other got it stright in the bullseye.

Another arrow missed me and clattered against a tree. "Percy!" a womans voice exclaimed. "Your holding your bow wrong again." I looked at the figures. A girl with blonde hair pulled back into a pony tail was scolding a boy with black hair and sea-green eyes.

"Percy..." the girl said, "just retrive your arrows." The Percy guy started to walk over to the tree where the arrow was stuck. The only problem was that the tree was right behind me.

I scrambled backwards and hid behind the tree. 'Please don't find me. Please don't find me' I chanted in my head. Percy stepped through the bushes where I just was and came to the tree. He pulled the arrow out from the bark of the tree. As he started to run away, I sneezed. I cursed myself.

Percy turned back to the tree. "Hello?" he said. I held my breath. The leaves crunched under Percy's shoes as he came closer and closer to the tree. When he circled the tree, I circled the other way so I was hidden by the tree to him. Then I heard a voice from behind me. "Percy, who is that." I jumped.

"Who, Annabeth?" he asked from around the tree trunk. Then he saw me. His eyes widened. "Who are you?"

I started hyperventilating. I had never talked to anyone besides Lyra. I didn't know if I could trust them. I looked over the girl. She had curly blonde hair and stormy grey eyes. At first I thought her eyes looked like mine, but then I decided that hers were more dull, where mine had a glowing tint to them.

"I-I..." I stuttered. The girl looked at me kindly and spoke "You don' thave to be afraid of us. It's okay." I built up enough courage to speak the one word they wanted.

"Ara."

Annabeth gave an un-enthusiastic smile. "Well hi, Ara. Welcome to Camp-Half Blood; your new home."