Chapter 4- Enter Carey

Zeeeeermmmm Marcus' Point Of Viewwww

I found the restaurant she'd insisted on, some quiet jazzy place in West London, and went in. She was right at the front, already siting at a table.

"Oh good, you're here!" She exclaimed, and we embraced. I sat down across her.

"So, how does life go on in the life of the fabulous Carey Mulligan?" I asked, with a mock-posh voice.

"Oh, you gotta cut that out" she said, hitting me in the arm a bit, "I told you the other day, I'm good. Fine."

I beamed at her. "I'm just so proud of you. You've got everything you've always wanted, Carey. Your dreams, they came true."

"They all did, didn't they? Well, almost all of them." she said, suddenly grabbing my hand that was resting on the table.

"C-Carey I don't understand." I said, shocked. Did she fancy me?

"Oh Marcus, puhlease, it isn't like that. Calm down. It's just, my agents have been pressuring me to take the next step in my career, so I can get bigger roles. With you, my star-power will automatically increase. Plus! I've known you for ages, so it'd be sooo convincing. We could practically get married next year, and no one would know the difference."

My palm had grown sweaty under her grip. Actually, I was sweating all over. It didn't take much unfortunately. I swallowed strongly.

"Carey, this isn't like you at all! You can't possibly be planning a fake relationship with me for your own benefit! I thought you said you would never let the fame get to you!"

"Oh Marcus, I was hoping I wouldn't have to spell it out for you. And besides, you have to say those kinds of things so people think you're down to earth. You are a very dear friend of mine, and I was just hoping you could help me out. If it helps, I've always thought you were kind of a looker anyway."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I never knew Carey to be that kind of a person, especially not to me. I couldn't accept, I couldn't leave.. Leave the girlfriend at home who was eating pizza all by herself! I tore my gaze from the ground, and pulled my hand away from Carey's. "Marcus!" she exclaimed. "There's no need to be rude! You don't have to agree right away, but.. Where's that waiter? I'll go get you a drink, maybe that'll make you feel better."

I felt sick. I felt like she had just stabbed me in the back, and each thing she said was with a twist of the knife handle, deeper into my back. If I said no, what would happen? This new Carey frightened me, and I didn't want to think of the blackmail she could pour onto me and the guys, just because I was being reasonable! I couldn't let everyone's hard work be crushed to nothing, just because I was being moody. Oh, how I needed to sit and think forever, but my decision had already floated to the top of my thoughts, however poisonous it was.

She returned with a bottle in her hand, and passed it over to me. I struck the bottle on the edge of the table, popping the cap off. I took a long swig, and the alcohol burned at my throat. Carey seemed appalled at my manners, but I ignored her. "I've come to my decision." I  stated, with my disgust for what I was about to do frothing in every word I spoke.

"Brilliant! So Marcus, will you do it? Will you help a dear friend out?"

I closed my eyes, allowing myself to take a large gulp of air. I let the word out with my exhale, "Yes."

Carey nearly sprung from her seat as she raced around and crushed me in a hug, exclaiming "Oh Marcus, I just knew you would do it! Oh the fun we will have, the money we will make-"

"-No. If you are making me do this, it's on MY terms." I said firmly, detaching  her from me. " I do not love you. Nor will I ever as I have seen your true character. I have a girlfriend whom I love more than anything, and she goes first in all of my decisions. If we must be married, I don't want it official. You’re gonna make it a private wedding and it will not be real. You will not take MY last name." I said each word with a venomous tone, with a hatred for her and a hatred for what she was making me do.

"Oh hun, I wouldn't take your last name anyway."

"I'm not finished!" I growled. "We will not be a conventional 'celebrity couple'. I am not, ugh, 'gushing' about you in interviews, nor am I going everywhere with you. I have my own life. And finally! I can and will leave whenever I want. I don't want to ruin you, I'm not like that. But do not presume I'll stay with you and this lie forever, because that's just a flat out lie. You used to be a very important person to me, and that AND ONLY THAT is the reason I will do any of this for you."

Her eyes were as wide as saucers, and her lip quivered slightly. "Th-thank you Marcus. This is important to me and hard for you, so I,  I respect that. I do hope we can plan things out tonight and have a good bite to eat as well. I tried to pick this place so no paparazzi's could see us, tonight only of course."

I stood up, nearly knocking over my chair. "I'm afraid I've no appetite now. Goodnight Carey."

And with that, I strode out of the building, cursing my luck and thinking of the flat I should have never left.

(A/N: I like to envision "Do I Wanna Know" playing as he walks out like a boss, but you know, that song didn't exist then)

When I finally opened the door to our flat, it was dark, save the light in the bathroom. I heard her soft breathing and went to her, kissing her lips the first second I got. She stirred, mumbling "Marcus, whaa?" in a voice laced with sleep, but I shushed her quietly and simply whispered "I love you" to her.

I had felt toxic on my way back to the flat, but now, with her in my arms, the feeling had passed. For now, that is.

So yeah! Marcus totally screwed up and Carey is secretly... not sweet at all? Fun times for all, eh?