Chapter Thirteen

And just like that, I was barely keeping myself awake with my head awkwardly bent on the window of an old cab, the glass cold to my cheek. Marcus Mumford, the band guy in the flesh, lay at the opposite window's edge. His body slouching into the middle seat as well. The plan was for us to go to Shepard's Bush and drop Marcus into the hands of some friend Ben basically begged to watch Marcus. I wasn't too pleased with the idea myself, but it was better than ending p with the sleeping man in my flat.

Finally, we pulled up to a stop, a bench on Shepard's Bush Street. Sitting there rather quaintly, with folded hands on her lap was a blonde woman, who couldn't be too much younger than twenty. I got out, awkwardly paying the cabbie, and walking around to pull Marcus out of the car. I was basically hugging him as I heaved him out, and the woman, rose to help as I lifted him up over the curb and onto the bench.

"There." she said quietly, an accent finding it's way through her soft words. I was jerked out of a trance my head was sort of in, how I'd never done this for any past boyfriends at home, and how I would've woken them up. Marcus and I weren't even like that, yet there I had been, holding his warm body, with a faint, smoky smell, and....

"Right, er sorry. You must be Laura." I stretched out my arm for a shake. The woman smiled politely, and shook it, her hair coming out in wisps from her ponytail, and her pale face detached, somewhat indifferent. "Hello." she replied.

"So... So you're good then? I mean, I hope it isn't any trouble with him.. He's kinda heavy."

She had this strange look on her face, her eye basically twinkling. "Oh no, it's fine. You take care now."

I inched away, unsure. "Yeah? I mean I could help-.... Okay. Thank you so much! From me and Ben. We really, Uh, we really appreciate it!"

And with that, I turned my back on this peculiar woman I just met, and the fascinating sleeping man who lay behind her. I walked the five blocks to my flat, with my head abuzz. Talk about a first date.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  I woke up, mind foggy. I didn't have too much to drink last night, I knew from my lack of a headache, yet I was confused. I lay on a couch with an old, familiar smell, and-

I sat up. I was in Laura's flat. I looked around, at the same old paintings and furniture I was so used to, the visions of which plagued my memories of her. Not knowing what else to do, I fumbled to get myself up and out of the couch, and ran to the door, down the flight of steps, and out onto the sidewalk. From there I retrieved my phone from my pocket, and hurriedly dialed Ben.

What happened last night? Why was I at Laura's?

"Marcus! God, am I glad to hear from you!"

"What the h*ll happened?!"

"What'd you remember?"

"Well," I thought for a second. The memories were all there, just strange. "I.. I was on a date?"

"Yes... Go on."

"With that girl you've been talking about, Jillian? Yeah, Jillian. And.. And it was alright, I mean, I dunno why you put me up to awfully constructed Sh*t like that.."

"Hey! It's for your own good! Next time I won't even.. So what happened after that? Because I only have her perspective."

"H-her as in Jillian? The American?"

"That's the one. You still in Shepard's Bush?"

"Yeah mate! How in the h*ll did I get here? Or actually, here's the real question, why the f*ck was I at Laura's? The 'ell are you trying to do?"

I was so mad and frustrated I couldn't think straight. I needed some logic here. I was pacing unevenly on the pavement, in the need of a p*ss and something to eat. Ben finally answered on the other end.

"You fell asleep mate."

"I what?"

"You fell asleep."

"No f*ckin' way."

"Yes, f*ck man that's kinda rude on a date."

"So how'd I end up here? Where's Jillian?"

"I had her drop you off in the area. She lives in Shepard's Bush, you know."

"I don't. The only other person you thought to room me with was Laura? Sh*t man."

"It wasn't like that! You were conked the whole way through, she was the closest friend I knew, plus she was the only one who answered my calls!"

"Here's a thought," I started, angrily, "Wake me the f*ck up next time, yeah? And don't dump me with my ex."

The other end was quiet.

"Look, Marcus." Ben's voice was soft, even apologetic. I let him continue. "You haven't been sleeping well. Or, at all really. I didn't intend for you to wake up at... At her flat or anything, I figured she'd get you home somehow. I'm just tryin' to look out for you, I had to stay here tonight at Johnny's. Honest, this was last resort."

I huffed out a breath. A cig would be great in this weather, or a friggen overcoat.

"Thanks mate. I'll.. I'll see you in a bit I guess."

"Call me later, yeah?"

"Yeah. Cheers."

So I guess I'm back? I've got a ton written, it's just so odd.. that is the Laura you all probably know, lol, sorry I censor stuff and their convos are weird I dunno

Also I'm so extra with that picture sorry they are real people whom I've seen live and am seeing again in June, why am I like this idk