Chapter Twelve- Bedside Manner

YEAH AN UPDATE

I texted Ben. That was all I could think to do, other than clear my throat awkwardly and loudly, to no avail. Which was great. As I waited for Ben to arrive I looked back over at Marcus. There was a certain quaint-ness to that moment, as the bar had died down, and the creases had softened on his face. His lips were slightly pursed, and his hair had slowly settled its way over his forehead in a low swoop.

Ben had been at the pub across the street, and came quickly. He tried not to laugh as he approached. "Typical." he muttered under his breath, shifting his arms in different ways around his sleeping friend, as if he was going to try to pick him up. "You're lucky he hasn't started his snoring yet, that you'd have to see to believe!" he said with a smirk, over his shoulder, as he grabbed Marcus by the shoulders and attempted to scoot him out of the booth. No avail.

"Do you.... Want help or something?" I mean, there had to be an easier way. Couldn't Ben just wake him up?

He hesitated, but then nodded. "Yeah. If you could just get this side" he waved his arms towards the outside of the booth- "that'd be great. Just don't let him fall." If we got him out of the booth-then what? We'd drag a half standing body over to the door?

I awkwardly approached the relative stranger as I got up, Ben was wedged in between the table and his friend's body. Ben had him propped up, draping a limp arm over his own shoulder. "Okay, just like, support his waist and take his arm." I tentatively hooked my arm around his warm side, and let his arm drop over my collarbone. "Sorry if this is weird." Ben said with a knowing look at me.

"Oh no, it's totally cool. I do this all the time, ya know."

Ben sighed. "He's had long day, and he's a pain to wake up anyway- let's just get him standing and get out of here."

With a quick "one- two.. Three!" we were holding the man up straight. "Sh*t he's heavy." Ben muttered in a humorously strained voice. He awkwardly pushed Marcus's legs along with the toe of his shoe, and we began to walk to the closest exit, an unmarked stage door. One man noticed and let out a cackle, yelling "Mumfy's all knocked out, isn't 'e!"

With the cool air from outside finally hitting us, Ben and I took a break and leaned Marcus against the brick wall of the side of the building. "Ugh." Ben groaned, running both hands through his hair in frustration. "Worst possible moment. I guess I'll have to get him a cab. I was planning on staying here tonight with a friend, but I dunno with Marcy over here, he lives in Shepard's f*ckin' Bush."

I struggled to breathe and stuttered out "Uh-I.. I live in Shepard's Bush."

Ben looked up from his bent over position, as he had been trying to prop Marcus up properly against the wall, with his legs sprawled out in front of him. God, he looked handsome.

Tugging on the gray knit hat he wore, and then wiping his jaw apprehensively, Ben weighed his options. At this point, we could've just woken Marcus up, but Ben acted with a certain indescribable softness towards his friend, and it would be almost rude to point it out.

"Hmm." A pause. "Here's what we can do."