Chapter 9

I was up at six in the morning and was hoping that it was just a terrible dream, but as I walked down the hall towards Kate's room I had this sinking feeling that it was very real, I peeked in really quickly and sure enough the draw was open and there was the bags of cocaine.

I closed the door hurriedly and headed for the kitchen my throat suddenly felt dry and I was trying to think of what my next move should be, I knew I had to go into work, I had taken enough days off as it was and the work was piling up.

How was I going to deal with all of this? Why did it have to be today of all days when I had a meeting to go to. I walked over to the refrigerator and poured myself a glass of OJ and sat down on the bar stool at the island.

I didn't have much time to sit and think so I drank the OJ and decided instead of making breakfast I would pick something up on my way to work. I went over to the sink to rinse out my glass and absent mindedly turned on the hot water and scorched my hand, I jumped back so quickly that I dropped the glass on the floor and sure enough it broke into a million pieces.

That is how I was feeling at the moment, shattered much like that glass; I had trusted Kate, believed in her and never expected this would happen to her or us in a million years.

I moved cautiously to get the dust pan and broom to sweep up the mess and was hoping that I would not get cut or a splinter since I was not wearing slippers. I got it all cleaned then headed for the shower, I was thinking the only person I could discuss this matter with was Chris, he would be able to give me the best advice, I knew Eric would just freak out and probably make me come stay with him again.

I literally ran out the shower to get dressed, I was trying to give myself enough time to stop and get breakfast and make it to work on time, plus factoring trying to catch a cab. I then decided to call the cab service and have them send me one which would save me time instead of flagging one down outside.

The broken glass had taken up at least 10 minutes because I wanted to make sure I got every bit of it, I picked up my hand bag and my brief case and headed out the door, I got into the lobby just as my phone rang, and it was the cab service confirming that the cab was already outside.

I said a quick hello to the doorman and hopped into the cab. Twenty minutes later I was pulling up in front of the company building with fifteen minutes to spare, so I headed for the deli and ordered turkey with egg on wheat toast and another OJ; what can I say I really loved orange juice.

The day went by rather quickly, my meeting was excellent, I was focused on work first and I knew I would have time after hours to deal with my personal stuff. Around lunch time I called Chris and asked if we could have dinner because I really needed to talk to him about something, he said he had had plans but he will cancel.

I thought about it for a moment and told him if it was something important not to do that, but he insisted and I really needed him right now, so I decided to be a little selfish and allow him to cancel his previous plans.

We made arrangements for him to come by my place around 7:30 pm, I was going to cook and then we could talk without interruptions, plus I really wanted him to see what I found, hence why I chose to do it at my condo.

I chose to have lunch at my desk, that way I could eat and work and get more things completed before the day ended; I knew I would finish early, which would give me time to stop at the store to pick up a few ingredients.

I was making good time it was only 3:30 pm and I was practically finish wrapping up everything, sometimes I even amazed myself. But of course nothing ever goes as planned does it?

My assistant buzzed me informing me that I had a visitor, I asked who it was, she informed me that it was Eric, I sighed heavily, I loved him but I was not really in the mood right now to see him.