Chapter 2

Photo of Chris posted

**********************************************************************************************************

I awoke later that day to the sound of the kettle whistling and Chris rushing from the fridge to turn the stove off. I guess he was trying; very unsuccessfully mind you, to not disturb me. He glanced up at me and gave me that familiar warm smile that he usually has, "sorry Simone I didn't mean to wake you." I smiled back, not as bright as his but it was a smile none the less; "it's cool, probably time for me to get up anyways. Umm what time is it?" I asked glancing around the room looking for a clock. "Its 11:15, I was trying to make you some breakfast quietly," he chuckled "but I guess I forgot the quiet part."

I jumped off the sofa, dashing for the phone. "I can't believe I over slept, I am so fired." Chris started laughing so hard and my head snapped up to see what was so gosh darn funny. "Umm, did I miss the joke or something, what's so funny?"

Finally looking up at me, "You" was his simple reply. "And why am I the butt of the joke?" "Come on Simone do you really think that I would let you sleep in this late and not call the office for you? What kind of friend would I be?"

"Well you could have just said that, rather than laugh at me" I sulked as I made my way over to the kitchen table.

"And ruin all the fun, the way you flew out of that sofa it was like something stung you." "Ha ha very funny" I said while rolling my eyes at him.

He just shrugged and went back to cooking still chuckling slightly. "So how did you sleep?" He called over his shoulder, and with that the whole mood changed.

"Fine I guess," which was kind of a lie, because I tossed and turned the whole time and kept waking up in a panic. I only fell into a deep sleep as the sun was beginning to rise.

"Did the police call with any info on Kate while I was sleeping?" with a hopeful tone in my voice I spoke to his back, at which point he turned around slowly. "No, I am sorry no word yet."

I figured as much, once those goons realized they had lost me, they probably headed back to the club and took Kate with them. I couldn't bring myself to even say her body because I really didn't believe she was dead.

"So if it's after 11 and your still home, you must be playing hokey then" I said with a slightly teasing tone, which was as much as I could muster up since I was really very exhausted.

With a slight smirk on his face he replied, "I am not really playing hokey, I called in told them I would be in late and couldn't stay long."

"Aww that's really sweet Chris but you don't have to miss work for me, I am sure I will be fine."

As he walked over to put a plate of scrambled eggs with cheese and a side of toast in front of me, my stomach suddenly growled, I really had not realized how hungry I was until that moment.

"I am not missing anything, you're my friend and a few hours away from the office won't kill me," with a big smile on my face, "thanks Chris, you're the best."

Were my last words before I picked up my fork and dived in, "Mmm this is really good, never knew you could chief it up like this."

"Well you know me Simone, I try to be good at everything I do," he said as he started laughing.

"I see someone is a bit full of themselves, hey...where is your plate?" Only now did I realize that I was eating alone while he was cleaning up the kitchen.

"I had toast and OJ already, just wanted to make sure you got something to eat before I ran a few errands and cleared up a few things at the office."