Chapter 15- Josephine Alexandra

"Thanks again for coming,"

"Stop thanking me! I should thank you for letting me come." I told Connor, swatting at his arm. "I had an amazing time."

"No need to lie," he laughed, tossing me my bag over the car.

"I'm not! It was the best thanksgiving of my life." I insisted, which was entirely true.

"Even though I don't believe you, good." he walked around the front of the car and grabbed my hands. Leaning forward, he kissed me and I automatically moved my hands around his neck. I suddenly felt his hands slip into the back pockets of my jeans and I couldn't help but giggle into his mouth. Laughing with me, Connor leaned his forehead against mine and I stared into his wonderfully green eyes until...

"Josephine Alexandra!" wiping around, I grimaced at the sight of my mother in the doorway of our house, her hands placed firmly on her hips and her eyes dark with fury.

"Shit..." I mumbled. Behind me, I heard Connor turn a laugh into a cough, undoubtably due to hearing my full name. Damn him.

"If you don't get your ass in this house right now, I swear to god--"

"I'm coming, Mother." I hissed at her.

"And you, boy if you ever touch my daughter's butt again--"

"MOM!" I shouted, stomping up the porch stairs. I didn't need to glance back at Connor to know his cheeks were surely burning red.

"I- I'm s-sorry, I just-"

"Don't apologize," I told him, turning toward him. "Just go... I'm sorry, just call me, please." I added in a softer tone. He gave me a sympathetic look before jumping back in his car and escaping the awkward situation.

"He will not be calling you--"

"Mom, please!" I stormed past her into the house, throwing my jacket roughly onto the chair by the door and quickly ripping off my boots.

"Josephine, you're grounded." she exclaimed, running after me.

"Will you please stop calling me that?" I retorted.

"You're grounded until... June! You're grounded until... your brother gets married!" On cue, Sam came sprinting down the stairs.

"Oh," was all he managed before my mother continued yelling.

"How dare you have the audacity to sneak out! Without asking, without warning, without any goodbyes! And to his house! For a span of three days! Sleeping in his bed!?"

"Okay, first of all, you don't know a single thing about Connor so you can't even talk about him that way." I seethed, spinning on my heel to face my raging mother.

"I know that he manipulated you to spend nights over at his house doing lord knows what and that he helped you go behind your own mother's back!" she huffed, folding her arms across her chest.

"He didn't manipulate me, mother! I wanted to go to Connor's for thanksgiving because, if you haven't noticed, our thanksgivings suck! We barely have a damn family to celebrate anything around here!" My words had had the anticipated effect as she winced. "And we didn't do anything in his house! I slept in his sister's room-" one time... "and I met his whole family and they were wonderful and they loved me and I had a great time!"

She huffed again and continued breathing heavily before thinking of a reply. "I'm glad you had fun abandoning us on that special day--"

"Special day!?" I shouted, incredulous. "Name one time where we did something special on thanksgiving! You usually go get drunk and Sam and I watch some shitty football! Well over there, his mom made a full meal and we prayed and were thankful, Mother. That's what a real family is supposed to do on thanksgiving."