Chapter 13- The Actual Thanksgiving Part

"I hope you know you're in for it when you get back..." I groaned, rolling my eyes.

"What?" asked Connor.

"Just listening to all my mom's voicemails. She's pissed."

"Gee, I can't imagine why! It's not like you snuck out to your boyfriend's for thanksgiving without her permission or anything." I playfully swatted at his arm before we made it into the kitchen.

My mouth had already been watering coming up the stairs from the smell of bacon and when we stepped into the kitchen, I saw the huge buffet and excitedly grabbed a plate from Connor's hands.

"Good morning, you two." Cheryl greeted us. She stood by the stove, frying up another batch of bacon in a cute pink apron. Connor's dad, Nicola and Brandon all sat at the small kitchen table, already eating.

"This looks delicious," I told his mom with a smile as I piled my plate with pancakes, hashbrowns, bacon and a carmel roll.

"Thank you, dear." she smiled at me again. "Orange juice?" I nodded eagerly and sat next to Connor at the table while she poured me a cup.

"Morning," Nicola said across the table. She was grinning at me slyly and I couldn't help remembering when she walked in on us last night.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Connor asked quietly. She simply raised her eyebrows at him and I stifled my laughter with a piece of bacon.

"Alright, last batch!" announced Cheryl, bringing over a plate of bacon and setting it in the middle of the table. Brandon, who had been completely silent the whole time we were eating, immediately grabbed a few pieces. He then stared at his plate while eating them. Connor was right; he was kinda awkward.

"Better see if the pre-game is on." Peter said, standing from the table and taking his coffee cup with him.

"Boys and their football." laughed Connor's mom as she followed him out of the room.

As soon as the adults had left, Nicola made that face at us again. "So, uh, how did my bed treat you?" she asked me.

"Good, actually. It was really comfortable." I replied.

"So you slept in it?"

"Well, yeah." I frowned.

"Oh, I just thought, yanno, maybe you and Connor..."

"Will you knock it off?" Connor interrupted sternly, but when I looked over at him he was grinning and his face was slightly red.

Brandon suddenly rose from the table and threw his dishes into the sink, leaving the room without a word.

"Do you know what's up with him?" Connor asked, leaning over the table to his sister. She shrugged and smiled at me again.

"If you ask me, I think he's got a crush on Jo."

I felt my eyes grow wide as I tried not to laugh. "Wait, really?"

"Yeah, that's why he's been acting so awkward around you guys." Nicola smiled matter-of-factly.

"Oh my god," groaned Connor as he pushed his chair back from the table, clearing his dishes.

The rest of the day went by quietly. Nicola and Cheryl spent most of their time in the kitchen, preparing for dinner. Connor told me Nicola was in culinary school and the best cook he knew. The boys, on the other hand, sat snacking and watching football all day. Every so often, Connor's mom would bustle into the living room and take away their chips, scolding them and assuring them that they were ruining their appetites. I absolutely adored everything about this family.