Chapter 1- Saint John's University

I love this place. Ithought with a grin as I drove through the university parking lot looking for an empty spot.

A group of 5 shirtless guys about 19 years old jogged along the sidewalk next to me. It was a warm day and this was the result. Hot, shirtless guys everywhere.

After finally pulling into a spot near Sexton Commons I pulled out my phone. It was 2:45. I shot a text to my brother.

New Message to: Sammy

'hey, i'm out in the parking lot. r u in ur room?'

My brother, Sam was a 19 year old freshman at Saint John's University and also my best friend. His moving out of our house just a few months ago and into his college dorm, was especially hard for me. When my dad died almost 6 years ago in a drunk car accident, my brother became a father figure for me. My mom went downhill from that day and turned to drinking and who knows what else. Sam was all I had.

Today, my first visit to his campus was very important and very exciting.

New Message from: Sammy

'yeah. room 356. 3rd floor.'

I grabbed my purse from the passenger seat and threw my car keys in it. Looking in my rear view mirror, I fixed a few strands of my long, dirty blonde, curly hair. I wasn't sure why I was nervous. This was just my brother. And maybe a few of his hot friends.

I cursed at myself for wearing my black jean shorts as I picked the white cat hairs off them. Why must they always lay on my clothes the day before I wanted to wear them?

Hopping out of the car, I put on my dark shades and headed toward the dorms. After climbing up six short flights of stairs, I made it to the third floor. I opened the door to the hallway and was immediately surprised at how loud it was. I could hear boys shouting and laughing and talking all through the corridor, excited to get outside on this warm Sunday. Realizing how annoying it must be to live in an all-boys college, I began to feel bad for my brother.

I made my way through the groups of boys to room 356. The door was open.

"Sam!" he dropped his X-box controller and stoor to give me a hug. He smelled like he always did and it made me grin. Sam's hair was a little shorter than but other than that he looked like the same.

As we stood there hugging, I noticed there was someone else in the room. He was standing as well, but seemed just a little shorter than my brother. His hair was a sandy brown and flipped up to the right in a quiff. He had musculer build and was wearing a fitted, dark blue T-shirt that showed it. Our eyes met and he smiled raising his eyebrows.

Sam broke the hug and stood me at arm's length.

"Damn! When did you grow up!?" he asked me, still smiling.

"It's only been two months since you last saw me!" I told him, laughing.

"I know, but you've had your birthday since then, right? You're 17 now, aren't you?" Sam said.

"Yeah." I casually coughed and looked in the direction of the guy standing behind my brother.

"Oh!" Sam put his arm around me and we took a step toward the guy. "Jo, this is my roommate Connor."

Connor set down his controller and shook my hand, an awkward smile on his face. "Hi."

"Hi." I said, trying not to feel how warm and soft his hand was. "I'm Jo." I couldn't be attracted to this guy. Not my brother's best friend.

"Is it okay if he hangs out with us today?" Sam asked me.

"Yeah, sure." I replied, smiling at Connor. As much as I didn't want to like him, he was so cute.