Chapter 3- Party

I sighed and threw down another outfit onto my bed. Why did nothing look good on me tonight? I still had about an hour before the party started but I was already worrying.

I bit my lip, examining my outfit. It was supposed to be cold tonight and I wondered if I should switch out those shorts for skinny jeans.

Finally deciding on my white distressed skinny jeans with a simple red ombre tank top, I ran to the bathroom to put on my usual makeup of mascara and eyeliner. Then I gave myself a rather successful smokey eye.

"Not bad, Jo. Not bad." I murmured taking a look in my full body mirror. I left my hair in its natural state, the curls hanging down back.

Shoving some cash and my keys in my pocket, I took a deep breath, thinking about what Lizzy had told me.

I had never lied to her before and wasn't exactly sure what had gotten into me. I don't know why I wanted to go to this party so much. I just felt like doing something a little daring on this Friday night instead of sitting around in sweats.

My phone jolted me out of my thoughts. A text from Lizzy.

'jo dont go to daltons'

I let out an exasperated sigh and threw my phone onto the bed. I should be able to handle myself at a college party! She doesn't have to always worry about me.

I slid into my car and started it up. I blasted the radio and rolled all the windows down. It helped me get my mind off everything.

At 10 I reached Dalton's mansion of a house. Pulling in the long driveway, I drove slow and stared. The front lawn was littered with chairs, cups and people. Lights hung in the trees and underwater in the pool. Music blasted through the open front doors and windows of the house. Inside I could make out a mass of people swaying to the music.

I pulled onto the lawn just off the driveway and parked, taking the keys out of the ignition.

Walking up to the house, I tried to avoid everyone's gaze and ignore the looks I got. When I forced myself into the entry way packed with people, I shoved my flip flops into a closet and scowered the crowd for Dalton. I began to make my way to Dalton's room, hoping to find him there but it was hard to walk. The bodies around me were jumping to the music or stumbling around. I was jolted off track every few feet by something.

I was beginning to get worried when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Mike and let out a sigh of relief.

"MIKE!" I shouted over the music and crowd. He grinned at me and that's when I smelled the overwhelming scent of alcohol and lord knows what else. He was obviously drunk and probably high as well. I wanted to make this quick.

"Jojo! I haven't seen you since you dumped my brother's sorry ass!" He slurred back, a genuine smile on his face. I knew he liked me, he was a nice guy when he wasn't... well like this.

I tried to breathe through my mouth and carefully answered, "Yeah speaking of him... Do you know where he is?"

Mike completely ignored my question and continued smiling like an idiot.

"What are you doing here anyway? This is a COLLEGE PARTY!" he yelled the last words and everyone around us gave a loud cheer, raising their cups.

I had begun to feel a bad feeling in my gut which usually happened when I knew I was in a bad situation. "Dalton invited me here!" I shouted back to Mike, although by this point I had completely lost his attention. He was swaying over to some half dressed chick near the door. "Okay, well see you later!" I called after him.

I then turned and ran right into someone.

"Sorry," I said quickly and looked down, not wanting to strike a conversation with anymore wasted people.