Chapter 1 - Pick Up the Orange Instead

"Sweet heart, Sometimes life gets hard when you're a grown-up. But no matter what you must never give up!" she exclaimed. A little girl no older than six stared up at her mama with her big doe blue eyes. Her short hair so dark it looked black, framed her face and her small lips formed a tiny frown as she tilted her head in curiosity.

"But why?", She whined "If it's too hard, I'll just give up and come back later!" she exclaimed happily as though she just solved a puzzle.

Her mother kissed her teeth lightly at the little girl and shook her index finger in the young girls face repeatedly. The little girl's frown deepened as she pondered over her mothers words.

"If you do that you won't ever come back to it!" she chastised "I'll tell you what you do! Come here and listen carefully."

The little girl scooted closer to her mother and sat on her lap. Her eyes may have seemed as though they were watching the other children play in the late afternoon but her ears all belonged to the older version of her.

"I want you to know that whenever life comes around and throws something in your way, you are to always make the best out of any situation." Her mother explained.

The little girl looked at her mother more confused then ever. Her innocent doe eyes looked at the woman with identical eyes and a furrowed brows. Laughing slightly the woman just sighed and settles for a simple phrase.

"How about this: when life gives you lemons-"

Ice blue eyes popped open with a start, only to be met by blinding sun light. A girl no more than 17 years old groaned, That stupid dream, and that stupid woman... Why won't she get out of my head? Seconds later her alarm clock went off letting her know today was Monday and there indeed was school.

"Ugggh..." She groaned.

One look at her phone and she knew she could afford two more minutes. The teen quietly got readjusted into her sheets with one final thought.

Two more minutes... She silently decided.

"EVA!" Called a voice from downstairs.

"Damn it." She mumbled.

The teen swung the bright teal covers off her body and brought her feet along with it. The moment the pale feet and green toes hit the cold wooden floor, she shivered. She shuffled to her bathroom still feeling drowsy despite the nine hours of sleep she had.

The teen could smell bacon her step mother was frying and the hickory sweet scent tickled her nose. Her father's morning chuckle could easily be heard even in her yellow bathroom upstairs. All she didn't here was Tj's incessant yelling about trucks and this girl at school who had major "cooties".

The young girl grinned to herself, Sooner or later he's going to want some cootie action.

She stripped and jumped in the shower after turning the fluorescent lights on. The hot water lightly pounded her back and soothed any sore muscles. Ten minutes later, she found herself looking in the mirror with only a lime green towel wrapped around her slim body and tooth brush in her foamed mouth.

She brushed her teeth for a minute or two more and headed out of the bathroom. Plugging in the blow dryer in, she brushed her hair and dried while thinking about what to wear.

After she turned it off, she walked over to her closet and pulled out a pair of Dark blue low ride skinny jeans and crop top with 'Namaste in Bed' written on it.

Perfect.

It will still January and bound to be chilly so she ransacked her closet for her black cardigan and grey high tops. She lost so much weight over the break so she knew for a fact the wind today would bother her.