Chapter 31: The Red Dawn Part I

'He who walked the path of hell

who didn't know what we will tell

accused of committing a crime

only he knows what goes on in his mind

by the winter solstice it shall appear

and let everyone finally hear.'

The winter solstice is coming. War is rising to the surface. With the winter solstice, hell shall rise and with war, the red dawn shall rise. But when the winter solstice leaves, the cold would be gone and when war leaves, the red dawn shall set. On the other hand, hell shall remain. Evil and good shall remain, despite who is victorious. But war will bring on destruction that cannot be mended. This destruction shall bring on a new era, a new age.

~

As the blazing sun rose over the ocean, it's warm orange glow changed the sky's colour. The crackle of the chaotic waves as they crashed against the rocks caused the seagulls to fly away. Annabeth watched in silence as the seagulls danced across the sky, free and untameable. She longed for peaceful moments like this, she longed for days where she wouldn't feel the weight of the world on her shoulders.

Atlanta's death had left her in a state of shock. She hadn't expected Percy to actually have her beheaded. Atlanta's words still echoed in her head, when she grabbed her hand and said. 'I'm begging you don't let my death be for nothing, don't let Percy win. And if he does, make sure you never stop fighting.' But, Atlanta's last words were what changed something inside of Annabeth. 'You will be betrayed brother.' Atlanta had glanced at her when she said that. Atlanta relied on Annabeth now to plot against Percy, but Annabeth had denied any proof that she had started to have doubts about Percy and her loyalty to him.

She didn't know what caused her to change towards him, maybe it was Atlanta's words when she warned her that he was using Annabeth, that he would leave her the minute he received Olympus' throne. Maybe it was how paranoid she was when he killed his own sister, Annabeth never knew he could be that dark. But, on top of all of that, it was what Percy had done to her. By taking his side, she changed, she became someone she loathed and criticised.

Did Atlanta deserve to die? Was what happened to Atlanta, considered justice? She closed her eyes and attempted to focus on the ocean's peaceful breeze. She was the daughter of Athena, the goddess of wisdom. Annabeth should know better. Deep down, Annabeth knew the truth, she knew what was right and what was wrong, according to how she was raised. What she despised the most was how hesitant she had become to doing what should be done. Maybe Atlanta was right, maybe Percy had brainwashed her.

Why did she hesitate? Was it because she loved Percy? Or was it because she feared him? Annabeth had to make her choice. She had to choose what she wanted, what was right for her. Without anyone else interfering with her decisions. "You seem to be enjoying the silence, is this your way to prepare for battle?" His low thick voice pierced through her ears as he came to a halt next to her on the balcony. Annabeth forced a smile. "The sun rise is beautiful, I'm trying to savour it before war."

Percy placed his arm around her waist, pulling her closer. "Don't worry, my queen, Camp Half-Blood arrives in two weeks. We will be ready." She turned to face him, looking him in the eyes. She searched for the warmth she once felt when she looked into his brilliant sea green eyes, she searched for the power of good that he always fought for but most of all, she searched for love in his eyes, any hint that he truly loved her. It wasn't there. She leaned in and kissed him.