Chapter 24: Behind Locked Doors Part I

"Frank what you're suggesting in incredibly dangerous, it could cost us our lives and the wrath of the gods," Jason said. "However, it is a clever plan and despite it's slight chance of working, I'm in." Frank smiled and glanced at Hazel whose eyes sparkled with a bit of hope, it made him ready to battle more than ever. "I think we should do it without consulting the Olympians. They want Percy dead the second they get their hands on him, not captured." Reyna said. The praetor had arrived at dawn, along with her counselors who would play a vital role in constructing their final and permanent battle strategy. Fortunately, the Olympians had agreed to hold a meeting, everything was going as Jason planned. 

               "I won't inform the Olympians on what you intend to do. But I am warning you, it you slip up, the consequences will be unbearable." Chiron warned. 

               Frank nodded and checked his watch. "Piper and Nico should contact us any minute now. Hopefully, they're safe." 

              "Yeah." Reyna said. "Hopefully." 

~

               "Why should we trust her?" Nico asked. Piper had awakened him from his peaceful sleep, and Nico never dealt nicely with anyone who awakened him. "Nico, I don't blame you for thinking like that. But trust me, I was playing Percy the whole time. Tricking him." Annabeth explained. 

                He turned to Piper. "You can't possible believe her? We both know how much Annabeth loves Percy!" 

             "She loved the old Percy, Nico!" Piper defended. Nico shook his head in denial. As much as he wanted to believe Annabeth, he wasn't taking any chances that could lead to the destruction of his world, that was already falling apart. "If you weren't on his side the whole time, we didn't you tell us?" 

               "Because Percy had thought back then that I was tricking him, he watched me closely." Annabeth said. Piper stepped between them and eyed Nico, their eyes met and they came to a silent agreement. "Al right," Nico said backing away from Piper. "You're going to have to prove your loyalty to us." 

               "How?" Annabeth asked. 

                Nico smirked. "Sneak into Percy's private chambers and search his personal office. Not the office that we have our meetings in. Grab all the scrolls and maps you could get your hands on and meet us in my room." 

               Annabeth's eyes narrowed. "We already know his battle strategy. Getting the extra maps he has won't do us any good." 

               "I advice you to not ask questions, just do your task." Nico said. "You have till dawn." 

               "Dawn? Nico be reasonable, I've never been in his private chambers, who knows what I'll face." Annabeth said. Nico rolled his eyes and opened his room's door and pointed outside to the hall. "Well then you better get started." Annabeth glanced at Piper, muttered a curse in Greek and stormed outside the room. Once the door was sealed shut, Nico turned to Piper and said. "When we sneak out to contact Jason today, she doesn't come along. I don't care if she'll be the reason why we figure out Percy's plan, she isn't coming." 

               "Nico, cut her some slack." Piper said. Nico opened his mouth to object but Piper was already ahead of him. "Nico. I know she might be tricking us. I'm well aware of how she feels towards Percy and what she would sacrifice for him. But this is Annabeth we're talking about. She's capable of taking care of herself." 

              "You might be right Piper. But she's still not coming with us, we need time to trust her again. Agreed?" Nico asked. Piper rolled her eyes but nodded. She just hoped Annabeth wouldn't get caught stealing from Percy. 

~

               The greek fire burning in the torches hung on the walls cast a dark glow in the dim hallway that led to Percy's chambers. Two guards dressed in fully black armor were posted in front of the huge silver doors. Annabeth, who peered from behind the wall, knew the chances of her escaping out of all of this was deadly. For what she intended to do was going to corrupt her world. However, if Annabeth succeeded, everything would turn out right. 

             She inhaled deeply and stepped away from the shadows, stepping into the light where the guards can easily spot her. "The king had ordered me to wait in his office till he arrives. We have important matters to discuss." Annabeth said in the bravest voice she could conjure. The guards glanced at each other then back at her. One of them said. "We haven't received any news  from the king. We can't let you in without a direct order from his majesty." 

              Annabeth forced a smirk and stepped closer to them. "I'm an Upper Guard, and I happen to be very close to the king. Therefore, you answer to me. Open the doors. Now." She demanded. The guards both shook their heads. "I advice you to listen. Your king won't be thrilled to hear that one of his Upper Guards was disobeyed. The consequences won't be nice." They exchanged glances and nodded, they each grabbed a door handle and opened the doors wide enough for her to walk through. 

              The doors closed behind her and Annabeth found herself in a wide round room. The walls were made out of black marble and so was the floor. Skyline windows covered one of the walls, allowing light to enter despite the dark air. Annabeth had grown used to seeing only darkness in her face everyday. Whether it was the castle, Percy or the rest of the campers, it scared her. She could feel it already affecting her. A huge fireplace was placed on one end with greek fire blazing in it. Couches were sprawled all around the room. On the left side two doors were situated and two other doors on the other side. 

              The first door led to his bedroom. Annabeth shut the door behind her and searched in every possible place where anything secretive would be kept, but she found nothing. Just before she left his room, a spark coming from his night desk caught his eyes. When Annabeth neared it she found out it was Percy's camp Half-Blood necklace, all the beads were present. A smile appeared on her face, her grey eyes watering. Annabeth wiped her tears away and set the necklace down, she couldn't let the past distract her. Percy was gone for good, she had to cope with who he was now. 

              Annabeth left his bedroom and checked the door next to it. The minute she tried to turn the knob, she felt pain erupt in her body and she stepped away immediately. Whatever Percy hid in there, he didn't want anyone venturing through it. Annabeth also noticed that it's keyhole was smaller than the size of a regular keyhole. If she could find the small key, she could reveal the secret. She hurried from the door and checked the remaining two. One of them was his own private library and the last door was his office. 

              Annabeth spotted the many scrolls and maps on his desk the minute she stepped in. They were laid out in the open, taking them wouldn't do her good. Percy would instantly notice them gone. She grabbed a blank paper from the huge pile on his desk and quickly sketched what she found to be useful information. She folded the papers and hid them in her jacket's pocket. Before she left, she spotted a set of keys on the desk. The small key was evident amongst the bigger ones. Not wasting another moment, she unhooked the small key and hid it in her pocket. Then, Annabeth raced out of his chambers, telling the guards that he had contacted her and told her to meet him elsewhere. 

            But it wasn't the fact that she had succeeded in the mission that made Annabeth bolt out of his chambers. But it was the shadow she kept seeing watching her back in Percy's chambers. Annabeth could've sworn it was his shadow, watching her every move. Even if he wasn't there himself. Because this was Percy, and he had already told her. He's always watching. 

~

I apologize for the horrible short chapter but it had to be short because next week's chapter is longer and hopefully BETTER WRITTEN. Anyway, what do you guys think is behind that door? And whose side is Annabeth on?