Chapter 29: Pandora's Box Part II

The wind whistled in Jason's ear as he soared through Olympus' night sky. Frank, in the form of an eagle, flew next to him as they both aimed for the palace's highest tower. The celebration had already begun and Poseidon was already waiting for the clock to strike 12:30 AM before he could face Zeus, meanwhile the demigods would ambush the guards at the back of the palace. Then, they would be on their own.

Jason landed on the balcony of the highest tower as Frank settled down next to him, as his form changed from an eagle to a mouse. Jason waited in silence as Frank entered the palace, checking if there were any guards in the area. When he made sure all was clear, he called for Jason to come inside. They sprinted down the hallway and descended down a flight of stairs leading them to come face to face with huge golden doors. "We wait till midnight, then we attack the guards posted outside." Jason explained as he and Frank hid behind a statue.

~

Hazel dared to quickly glance from behind the bushes to spot the seven guards posted at the palace's back gates. "How long till midnight?" She asked, looking back at Reyna and Leo. Leo examined his watch and said. "Five minutes, exactly."

Reyna pulled her sword out from her belt, her dark eyes seemed to reflect the stars in the night sky. "Steady yourself." Reyna reminded them. "This will be nasty." Hazel and Leo nodded in response as the silence filled the air around them as time moved on.

After five minutes, the peaceful silence was interrupted when the enormous clock situated at the highest tower struck twelve at midnight, causing a ringing sound to fill the air. Following the clock's strike of midnight, the palace's back gates flew open as Jason and Frank stormed out armed and ready. "Now!" Reyna yelled as she ran from their hiding position and joined the fight, followed by Hazel and Leo.

~

Once midnight had fallen, Poseidon took action. He stood at the center of the throne room, his ancient green eyes fixed on his brother who was busy flirting with some minor goddesses. "Zeus!" He yelled, his voice silencing the other gods.

Zeus turned to face him, with a glass of wine in his hand. "What now brother? Can't you see we are celebrating?"

"The only person who will be celebrating will be Percy if you don't start acting like a king you old dramatic useless drunk." Poseidon stated. Gasps and whispers broke out amongst the gods, Poseidon could've sworn he saw Hades smile and Hermes giggling.

Zeus threw his glass at the wall behind him, causing the shattering sound to fill the silence. "Who do you think you are, telling me what to do?"

Poseidon shook his head and spread his hands. "Look at the state we are in, look at it!" He yelled. He could see the astonished looks on every god's face, including Zeus's. Poseidon was always a quiet god, even when the council would meet he never cared of what they did. But this was his son on the line, and Poseidon did care for him.

"We are here tonight celebrating a war we will lose because we are too blind to see the truth." He sighed deeply before continuing his plan, he had to buy Jason and the others time. Time was their one important variable that they needed to control. "Tomorrow Camp Half-blood and Camp Jupiter marches for war, and instead of using any second to prepare you are getting drunk."

Zeus broke out into laughter. "Oh brother, I'm a god, I don't get drunk."

Poseidon rolled his eyes, but he had begun to worry. By now Zeus would've blasted him or have him punished. The fact that Zeus hadn't acted yet meant that the king of the Olympians was truly lost, fear had taken over him. "Really? Because you've definitely lost you mind. Never mind, you were always like this."