The Puppet Assassin - Ch 16 [what's a lie? - | - luke]

IMPORTANT:

Well, it's important in my book. I found an awesome song which I have proclaimed the TPA 'theme song'... Theme song sounds so lame but I'm tired, delirious and 50% dumber atm and can't think of another word. Thank giba for spellcheck because otherwise this message would be unreadable.

ANYWAY, it's to the left, it's called Watercolour and it's by Pendulum... It is amazing.

:)

Sid x

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death"

- Earl Wilson

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter Sixteen

What's A Lie? |Luke

__________________

The headache was back. I wasn't really surprised.

"Your father?" Garth murmured, his brow furrowed. I could almost hear his mind ticking.

But that wasn't right. She must not have known what happened to him. "Your father's dead, Dizelde. When he was caught, he decided that he didn't want to go compliantly. He murdered three officers before he was shot down." Dizelde didn't appear to be listening to me, her eyes were glassy and her face was slowly turning a washed out green. Her breath was coming out in startled gasps. I needed to calm her down before she had a panic attack. Damn it! I knew I shouldn't have said anything while she was in the room!

"Breathe deeper, Dizelde," I said slowly, letting a tiny bit of coercive magic slip into my voice. I knew I was in trouble when she didn't appear to have heard me.

She stood abruptly, sending her chair screeching back across the floor. She stared straight ahead, her hands clenching the edge of the table. I tensed, ready to leap up, and Garth slowly rose from his chair, his hands up, palms forward, looking as if he intended to coax her back into sitting.

"Don't forget she's a trained killer and she's not all there at the moment," I said, so quietly that only he would hear.

"What can I do? There's nothing I can do! Nothing!" She swivelled her head to look at me, her wavy, blonde hair escaping in strands from her ponytail, the panic finally showing itself in her eyes.

"Take deep breaths, Dizelde!" I barked, forcing more compulsion into my words. She took one deep, shuddering breath, unable to go against my word. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help.

"My father... he keeps killing... They're all in front of me..."

Her eyes were blank again. She was seeing things from the past. Memories, I was sure of it. This was bad timing after her nightmare this morning. Hell, this was just bad timing.

I heard the grumble of Lark's motorcycle turn into the street and up the drive. I had a feeling he would see this situation and go into big brother mode which would relieve me from having to soothe her. But I was feeling irritable. I'd found her, rescued her from Carlow and taken her here. I wasn't looking for her undying gratitude but it would be nice if she found my presence comforting. As an only child, I'd always wanted someone to take care of. It should be my turn now.

Unfortunately, as soon as I moved my hand to the table, ready to stand, she snapped. Garth took a step forward, ready to sit her back down but she lashed out and caught his hand. In a move so fast I barely saw it, she twisted his arm around and forced it behind his back. He rammed his hip backwards, making her unbalanced, and pulled free, quickly retreating. He glanced at me, his expression jaded.