The Puppet Assassin - Ch 14 [the phone call from the devil - | - luke]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The test we must set for ourselves is not to march alone but to march in such a way that others will wish to join us. "

- Hubert Humphrey, U.S. vice president, senator

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter Fourteen

The Phone Call From The Devil | Luke

_________________

"Fifty bucks this time. Come on, I'll get it!"

I grinned and shook my head at Bianca who was holding twenty-five euros in a shaky hand towards me. She was so tanked she was swaying on the spot. In her other hand she was holding a dart aimed at the board a few metres away. The area around the board had been nervously cleared, a safe choice seeing as Bianca had yet to hit the actual dartboard in her last ten shots.

"Love, you already owe me €120," I said, leaning back against the bar and enjoying the view.

"Yeah, but fifth time lucky." She shook the money.

I studied her face, waiting for her to turn and look at me. I felt a kick in my chest as the lightning cobalt orbs latched onto my face, slightly fuzzy. I felt a surge of triumph as her cheeks slowly turned pink with a pretty blush.

"First off, B, it's more like fiftieth. Secondly, that's only twenty-five you're offering to bet."

She glared at me and then turned her head to squint at the board. "It's fifty Australian. But if you're that picky, you can pay me fifty euros when I get this bullseye."

I pushed off the bar so that I was standing right next to her, I could feel her body radiating heat towards me and hear that her heartbeat quickened when I neared. I pretended to check her target and line of fire.

"What's in it for me, though?" I asked in a low voice. Her heart skipped a little.

She glanced at me, blinked at how close we were, before raising a brow cockily. "First off, you're getting money." She was attempting to copy my accent but not quite getting it right. "Secondly, are you flirting with me?"

I brushed a piece of her fringe behind her ears. "Damn, I thought I was being subtle," I said so that she'd just be able to hear it over the band.

She moistened her lips, dragging my attention down to them, my gut clenching.

"Well then..." She smiled slowly. "How 'bout you take me out to dinner some time and we can get to know each other better."

I grinned widely, my brain ticking fast. "Well, alright, how about we make a bet? You get this bullseye and I'll take you wherever you want to go. You miss, and it's my choice."

She frowned. "Wherever I want to go?"

I nodded. "IF you win."

"It's on, Luke."

I took the money and stepped back, settling back onto the barstool and watched, amused, as she squinted, stuck her tongue out the side of her mouth, and attempted to line up the dart with the green bullseye. I decided that even if she got inches away, I would give her the win. But considering her last shots, I doubted she would get close. She drew her arm back, slipped her tongue back into her mouth and thrust the dart forward, releasing it towards the board.

The dart arced and then plummeted downward... It didn't even make the wall.

"Pfft." I couldn't stop the sound from escaping my mouth. I flinched when she snapped her head towards me with a high beam glare.