The Puppet Assassin - Ch 4 [the addition -|- luke]

[Firstly, author's note (boo, how annoying): Ah, I have loved the song 'Little Lion Man' by Mumford and Sons for oh so long and only just realised, and I'm gonna be a little cryptic here, but it fits Luke really well... and not just because of the whole 'Lion' thing. You HAVE to listen to it, especially if you've never heard it before. I absolutely love this song, it's definitely in the top ten of all time on my list. And that is saying something HUGE.]

______________________________________________________

"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back"

- Charlie Brown

______________________________________________________

Chapter Four

The Addition | Luke

__________________

I glanced into the rear-view mirror and latched onto the sight of the girl staring out the window, her big, brandy-coloured eyes never looking at one thing long, always searching out something new. I was hoping that she'd fall asleep so that I could talk to Garth without her listening but she hardly seemed to blink. She was a pretty kid, her blonde, wavy hair sat nicely in a ponytail, free of frizz and dead ends. She was slim, though there were soft ridges of muscle in her relaxed state that stopped her from being bony. I'd have been worried that this was some kind of elaborate scheme to get close to me if I hadn't seen her eyes empty of everything but fear as I'd questioned her. I flinched away from the memory. I'd had to be harsh with her, I couldn't risk giving help to someone who could've been a part of the group of blood-witches.

I drummed my fingers on the wheel, speeding up a little to pass by a truck while we still had two lanes. I was tempted to change to auto-drive but I needed to keep the speed up to get away from the place where Dizelde was most likely last seen. She had called herself an assassin. That meant that the rumours were true and 'Scythe' had actually been training people to kill people he didn't like. He wouldn't let her stay free for long, not if she could confirm the rumours, cost him his job and credibility and force him to end up in jail. I needed to contact Liam, as much as it irked me to have to ask him for help, and get this girl hidden. I glanced in the mirror again and saw that she was watching me.

"What?" I asked sharply. Her expression looked pained.

She looked away and shrugged her shoulders. "Nothing. Sorry."

Garth, in the seat next to me, shifted around in his chair to look back at her. "She's hungry," he muttered.

I glanced at him with surprise and then flicked my eyes back to the mirror. "We can stop off in the next town. There's one not far from where we are now."

She shook her head. "I'm fine."

Even if I hadn't been a witch that would have been an obvious lie to me. I could just hear her stomach rumbling softly but constantly. She must be starving.

I ignored her and turned off at the next exit.

"There's something you need to learn, kid." Garth leaned his head back against the headrest and linked his fingers behind the back. "You can't lie to witches."

"I knew that," she muttered quickly.

"So, why lie?" He turned his head back to her, raising an eyebrow.

I glanced up to see her expression and grinned to see her scowling, facing out the window again. Another thing she had just learnt. Garth always gets the last word.

"We don't need to stop."

I groaned mentally. Okay, maybe she hadn't learnt to give Garth his last word.