Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Thomas and Max rode into Bakerstown around noon four days later.

"Why we stop here?" Max asked.

Thomas and he had been working hard on teaching the boy to speak better English. Thomas had learned that Max understood English, he just didn't speak it that well, but he was getting much better. His accent was still thick but that just added to the little runts charm.

"I'm gonna get you some clothes, kid. Yours are looking a little rough around the edges."

Max looked down at his pants and smiled at the large hole that his knobby knee was sticking out of, "Mamma and Pappa never have money for new clothes."

"Never had money," Thomas corrected him gently.

Max nodded sadly, "Si. Never had money."

Thomas jumped from the saddle and helped Max down as well. He hitched the horse to the post in front of the tailor's shop and led Max inside. Truthfully, getting the boy clothes could have waited but Thomas was trying to waste time. Now that he was so close to Sally, he was suddenly scared nearly to death at the thought of speaking to her.

Yes, the tough Thomas Cooper was finding that he wasn't quite as tough as he thought he was and the thought of Sally slamming the door in his face had him shaking in his boots. He was actually hoping that she would punch him, kick him, or try to shoot him... Something that would indicate that there was still fire and passion in her heart where he was concerned. If all she did was give him that sad look she had given him after their wedding and close the door in his face, then he didn't know how he would pick himself up and carry on. He needed that woman. He had loved her before he'd left all those years ago and if he'd been being honest with himself when he came back, he would have realized that he never stopped loving her. She was everything he had ever wanted and all he would ever need.

It took nearly an hour but they were able to get several outfits that would fit the boy and he looked much better in his new hole-free trousers and unstained white shirt that contrasted sharply with his dark skin and hair.

"We go to your home now?" Max asked as they walked out of the tailor's shop.

Thomas saw no way around it. He wanted to go home and now was the time, "Yep, we're going to my home now."

He was just stuffing the brown paper wrapped package of clothes into his saddlebag when he heard Nathan's voice, "I think that's Thomas."

"Yeah, it's Thomas," Brody agreed.

Thomas turned to see the two of them walking toward him, "Hi Nathan." Thomas said, smiling and feeling his heart swell at finally seeing the boy again. He'd missed that messy brown hair and those big brown eyes. But Nathan didn't look quite so happy to see him, "Nice of you to finally come back," he sneered.

Brody's hand landed sharply on the back of the boy's head, "Be nice," he warned as Nathan looked up at him with indignation.

Nathan bit his lip and gave Thomas a look that said he really wasn't regretful but he obediently said, "I'm sorry."

"Have you been being good for Brody and Liz?" Thomas asked. He hadn't expected Nathan to be angry with him but he realized now that he should have.

"Yes. I'm not a baby," Nathan replied, "It's not like you care anyway." Thomas frowned, "I care."

"You didn't care enough to tell me goodbye before you left," Nathan reminded him, "And you've been gone a long time!"

Thomas nodded. He had been gone a long time. Nearly four months, "I'm sorry you think I don't care, Nathan. Truth is I care a heck of a lot and I'm back for good this time."