Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

"Santa is coming tonight, Aunt Sally! We have to get lots of sleep!" Lexi exclaimed as Brody helped her slip into her coat. Sally forced a smile onto her face as she stabbed at the dying fire with her poker.

"Santa isn't really real but Elizabeth told me that it's good to let the little ones think that he is," Nathan whispered to her.

Sally nodded. While neither she nor Nathan had mentioned Thomas they were both wondering where the man could be. Sally was beginning to doubt that he was coming at all. She had wanted to believe that Thomas really cared about her but now she was beginning to see that she may have been wrong. It was the end of Christmas eve, Christmas was only a few hours away and there had been no sign of the Texas Ranger.

"It's good to let kids have their dreams," she agreed, even though her dream was being ripped apart. For so long she had dreamed of being Thomas's woman, but he was not the same man who had left here all those years ago. Something was different inside of him and clearly promises no longer meant a thing to him.

"I'm helping with Christmas dinner tomorrow," Elizabeth informed the room as she helped Bryant slip into his coat.

Brody faked a look of horror and then whispered loudly in Nathan's ear, "Better make sure you sneak some snacks in your pockets tomorrow so you ain't too hungry at suppertime.... Elizabeth's cooking has been known to kill a man."

"You're still breathing," Elizabeth countered with a glare.

Brody grinned.

"I'm one hell of a man," he replied with a mischievous twinkle in his green eyes.

"That you are, sheriff Atkinson," Elizabeth agreed.

"Oh brother," Nathan muttered as he ran his hand over his face.

"Alright kiddos, lets get gone," Brody said as he walked over to the door and put his hat on his head. Everyone said their goodnights and then made their way to their beds after Brody and Elizabeth were gone.

***

"Sally seemed quiet tonight," Jacob said as he held his wife close in their bed later that night.

"Do you honestly not know why?" Ellie asked, wondering how her husband could be so blind sometimes.

"Did I do something?" he asked curiously.

She sighed and nestled her head into his neck, "No. She is still in love with Thomas. Thomas said he was coming for Christmas and he isn't here.... She's heartbroken."

Jacob grumbled at hearing his sister was in love and he shook his head, "I knew that boy was going to break her heart, but in his defense Christmas isn't over yet. He still has time to show up."

"Men don't always do what they should. Sometimes they have trouble making the right decisions," Ellie replied sadly.

Jacob thought back to some of his own foolish choices when it had come to Ellie and as he remembered nearly letting her slip away from him he squeezed her a bit tighter, "We can be awfully stupid," he agreed.

Ellie pulled her head away and looked at his face. She could see the lines of regret around his mouth and she quickly kissed them away, "I love you, Jacob Atkinson."

"I love you too." he replied, kissing her soft black hair. "And if Thomas isn't here by midnight tomorrow I'll hunt him down myself and drag him back just so he can tell my little sister to her face that he's a two faced liar. I won't let him hurt her and get away with it."