Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"Come on out to the Atkinson's with me and spend Christmas. You know you don't wanna be here at the jail with no one but old Herman for company," Thomas said to LeRoy the next morning as the two men stood in the jail office.

"What about your friend back there?" LeRoy asked, tilting his head toward the closed door that led back to the cells.

Thomas shook his head and looked up at the dingy ceiling, "He's not my friend and if I didn't have orders to bring him back alive he would already be a corpse. He'll be fine back there by himself. Nobody even knows he's here, he don't have any friends to help bust him out and I don't reckon he can chew his way through those bars. He'll be just fine."

"If you say so," LeRoy grinned, "You're a texas ranger after all so you outrank me,"

Thomas pulled off his badge and stuck it in his pocket, "Today I'm just Thomas Cooper," he countered. "Now lets get on out to the ranch."

"Hope you ate a big breakfast," LeRoy warned, smiling as the two of them walked out of the jail.

"Why's that?" Thomas asked as they made their way across the empty streets toward the livery.

"I heard tell that Elizabeth's gonna be helping with dinner," LeRoy replied and Thomas let out an involuntary shudder.

***

"It's ranger Cooper!" Nathan exclaimed excitedly as he stuck his head inside the house, "Ranger Cooper is back!" With that excited announcement he ran back out the door.

Sally fought the urge to jump to her feet and run out the door after him. She didn't want to seem too eager to see him but at the same time she had to act surprised to see him. She couldn't stop herself from smiling though and she saw Jacob watching her closely.

"Aren't you gonna go out and greet the boy?" her oldest brother questioned and Sally didn't need any more incentive than that to get up and race out onto the porch.

"LeRoy! It's great that you could join us!" Elizabeth exclaimed as LeRoy and Thomas walked up toward the house from the barn.

"I didn't think the man should have to sit at the jail alone on Christmas," Thomas replied as Elizabeth threw her arms around his neck and he patted her back awkwardly. Displays of family affection had always made him feel awkward.

"Are you all ready to open presents?" Liza asked as she stepped outside. She had come from Austin to spend Christmas with Ellie and the family.

"Presents!" Lexi and Bryant exclaimed as they ran past her and into the house.

Brody shook his head, "Bunch of wild Comanches. That's what them youngins are."

"Well what did you expect when you mixed you and Liz's blood together?" LeRoy grinned, "You're as wild as a buck and she's twice as mean as you."

"Well come on in," Brody urged, ignoring the man's comment and motioning with his hand for everyone to follow him as he walked into the house.

"I'm glad you're back, ranger Cooper," Nathan exclaimed, "Did you have fun at your job? Did you catch bad guys? I haven't rested anybody else. There aren't very many bad guys 'round here. Sheriff Brody is teaching me how to shoot though. I'm pretty darn good too...." Thomas chuckled and Nathan stopped talking and looked up at him.

"Sounds like you've been doing good... Don't you want some presents? Get on in there and get ya some," Thomas said, adjusting the sack on his shoulder.