Chapter Three

"This don't look like anything more than a ranch or something." Nathan said as they approached the barracks.

"That's really all it is. The rangers live here when they aren't off on a job." Thomas replied. Thomas jumped from his horse, helped Nathan down and then handed the reins to a Mexican man who worked in the barn.

"Hola, Senor Cooper." the short, black eyed man said. Thomas nodded.

"Hola, Jose."

"Who is the boy?" Jose asked with a heavy accent.

"My name is Nathan. Ranger Cooper saved my life."

"Is that true, Coop?" Another man asked as he walked over. This man was short, thin and wiry. He had a red beard and mustache and jumped and jittered like he had drunk about three pots of coffee too many.

"Yeah, it's true, Parker." Thomas replied with a nod.

"Never saw you as the heroic type there, Coop."

"I'm no hero. I was just in the right place at the right time for the boy."

"The men killed my mama." Nathan said from where he stood halfway behind Thomas. He wanted to seem brave but at the same time this place was full of strong and some even dangerous looking men. He wanted to stay as close as he could to the one man out of all of these that he knew he could trust.

"Sorry about that, kiddo."

"His name is Nathan." Thomas said absently. He remembered the way Nathan had been quick to correct him every time he'd called him kid in the last day and a half. Jose and Parker shared a look and then shrugged. Jose walked off with Thomas's horse and Parker pointed up at the big main house.

"Captian Wynter wants to talk to you." Thomas nodded and headed up to the house with Nathan on his heels.

"Cooper! Finally you're back.... Who's that?" Captain Wynter asked. Nathan stared up at this man. He didn't look nearly as big, strong or dangerous as Thomas and it was hard to believe that this man was Thomas's boss.

"This is Nathan. I happened on his and mothers farm on my way back and while I was there a gang showed up. I don't know who they were and there were too many men for me to take on. His mother didn't make it but I managed to keep the boy safe."

"Sorry that happened to you, kid." Captain Wynter said with a frown. Then he smiled, his smooth cheeks wrinkling around his mouth and his blue eyes shining. "Say, kid, would you like to go get a bite of fresh homemade soup out of the kitchen? My wife made it and she's a right good cook." Nathan looked up at Thomas as if seeking permission. Thomas didn't like the trusting look in Nathan's eyes. He didn't want the damn boy thinking that their togetherness was permanent.

"Get in there, kid. You've been complaining for the last day and a half about how bad the stuff we've been eating is." he said as he sat down in an arm chair and stretched his long legs out in front of him. Nathan frowned and then walked down the hall toward the smell of soup.

"What the hell did you bring a kid here for, Cooper?" Captain Wynter demanded as he sat down in a chair across from him.

"I couldn't very well leave him back where I found him. He'd have died for sure."

"Why didn't you take him to his kin?"

"He says he don't have any and I believe him. He's a bit of talker on the back of a horse but he seems like he's a good kid."

"Why do I care?" Captain Wynter asked as he lit a cigar.

"Because he's your problem now. I'm ready for patrol." Thomas said standing up.