Chapter 2: Set On Your Eyes

Claire’s POV

I was a wreck. Still running in the pouring rain, holding my shoes; I cross an intersection and go down an alleyway. It wasn’t dark, as there was a nightclub there. I slide down the wall next to the closest car; a black Porsche. My phone was vibrating all the time; all the messages from Mark.

Babe! Talk to me! It’s not what it looked like! Bullshit.

She forced herself on me! Again bullshit.

I’ve had enough of his excuses. He cheated on me. I started crying again.

My ringtone, Ed Sheeran’s ‘The City’ blasts in the silent alley. I chuck my phone blindly, not caring where it landed. I hear the phone smash and then a car alarm.

I didn’t know what I should do. I close my eyes and let my mind wander, away from my upsets. I open my wallet and ripped the picture of me and Mark on my birthday 4 months ago and flung it on the ground and cried.

*****

Niall’s POV

The nightclub was boring me out. Harry was passed out on the floor, Louis doing his stupid dance moves again; Zayn looking at his reflection, and Liam was trying to make a conversation with me. I sipped my beer again. I just wanted to relax, enjoy singing with the boys and find my princess. Why since going on The X Factor; I have not found love? I sigh and rest my head on my hands on the bar. My car alarm on my key ring started to flash red, someone was stealing my car. Liam notices the light and we started to grab the boys.

We had no clue how many people were trying to steal/damage the car so Liam, Louis, Zayn, Harry and I ran outside together into the rain to find an empty alley. We all head to my car cautiously. No-one was around. I step on something; looking down at it showing a phone battery.

Out of corner of my eye I see movement near the wall of the nightclub. I look at the figure and stare. The boys were scratching their heads at the dent in the car and the smashed phone. I walk towards the figure and crouch down.

I stare at the soaked girl who looked like she had been crying. Her one shouldered two-tone pink and black dress was slightly ruined from the mud on the ground, her shoes were next to her; but I was looking at her face. Her red hair hanged in front of her face. I felt like I needed to help her. I take off my jacket and put it around her. She stiffened and looked up at me. Her blood-shot eyes made my heart break. What happened to her? She froze, staring back at me. She then looked quickly down and removes the jacket and stood up. She looked at me one more time before she ran off.

I watch her go. Why was I too stupid enough to ask for her name? I didn’t ask if she was alright! The boys also look at the retreating girl.

“Who the hell was that?” Liam asked. All 8 eyes looked at me as I stood up. I shrugged my shoulders and said, “I don’t know…. She ran off before I could ask.”

They seemed to nod and then we decided to call it a night. As we walked towards our cars; I notice two pieces of paper; or I should say photo. One was of a guy, and the other piece was the girl who was just sitting down there before. The two pieces seemed to fit together. My heart became sad as I realised that she’d probably broken up with her boyfriend.

Louis honked my car horn; I looked back and saw him in the driver seat. I sigh and head towards my car, putting the picture of the girl in my pocket because I was going to look for her.

Claire’s POV

I had looked up from my hands after I felt a jacket be put around me. All I saw was memorizing blue eyes that looked familiar. My eyes refocused and I then saw myself looking at Niall Horan. Holy shit. I needed to get out of here. I did not want any of One Direction looking at the mess I’m in; but it was already too late. I quickly removed the jacket from my shoulders and stood up. I turned at the beautiful Irish boy before running away for the second time tonight.

As I ran around away from the alley, I wondered why he would be so caring. I mean; it was Niall Horan; who is one of the most famous and hottest boys on the planet. Why…. How did he notice me? Why did he care about me?

I found a telephone box and quickly went to it. I put the money in and called Sabrina. She answered on the third ring.

“Hello?” her voice was concerned.

“Sab?” my voice cracked as I said it.

“Claire! Where are you? Al, Cece, Mark and I are worried sick!” when she mentioned Mark’s name my heart broke even further.

“Sabby…. Mark cheated on me.” I sobbed into the phone.

“What?!?! Okay where are you? I’ll come with the girls and pick you up. You’re gonna stay at my house tonight.” My best friend’s voice had a slight touch of anger in it.

“Thanks. I’m….” I look around and poke my head outside the telephone box to read the street sign. “In Bartholomew Square. On Randor Street.” I say into the phone.

“Bartholomew Square? How the fuck did you end up there?! We’re in St. Pancras! Okay… I’ll be there as soon as I can. Just stay there babe.” Sabrina said before hanging up.

I wait for 40 minutes before I see Sabrina’s purple car pull up near the telephone box. I walk towards the car and hop in.

Cecelia and Alana were also in the car, but none of them said anything. The whole trip to Sabrina’s was silent.

*****

We head to Sabrina’s room where I sat on her bed. I had the huge towel wrapped around me as Sabrina grabbed clothes for me.

“Claire, what happened?” Sabrina’s concerned voice reached my ears as she down next to me. I took a deep breath before explaining.

“You know how Mark and Kyle were to get drinks for us? Well they had been gone for like an hour, so that’s why I went looking for them. I had found Kyle making out with some girl I didn’t know, and I was getting worried as I still couldn’t find Mark. And I also couldn’t see Jasmine.    I had looked everywhere except for Jasmine’s bedroom. Which I found… them both on her bed; his shirt off and her dress off, and it looked like they were going to go further!” I choked out before crying into her shoulder. All the girls hugged me for a long time.

“So you got out of there. Did you go straight to the Square?” Alana asked. I froze slightly. I couldn’t tell them about Niall outside the nightclub. I sighed and nodded.

I cried myself to sleep.