Chapter 7 - Olivier

The Pearl Palace, Cantella, Anemasi

26th Year of the Ocean

Fifth Moon

Olivier stood with her back to the wall, her arms folded across her chest. Of all the concerns she'd had about travelling to Anemasi, Kylan getting in a brawl had never been one of them. But, judging from the sorry state of the Anemasi Dragonheir's face, he also hadn't considered fighting – or, at least, hadn't considered that Kylan could fight.

Beside Olivier, the ex-princess and now Cantier-in-Training, Annalissa Caele, sighed. "He's not usually like this." She insisted. "He's normally very sweet." As her brows furrowed, her nose scrunched up like a rabbit's.

"Kylan, too, is usually very nice." Olivier murmured.

The two girls met each other's eyes for a moment, then they burst out laughing.

"It-it's just so absurd!" Annalissa exclaimed.

"I agree!"

"They barely know each other!"

Olivier gave a dramatic sigh. "What are we going to do with them?"

"I'm not sure if locking them in a room would help or hinder things, to be entirely honest." Annalissa said, trying to be serious, but her lips quivered on the last word, and then they were laughing again.

Flae had been trying her hardest, day in and day out, to try and make Olivier laugh ever since they arrived in Ignisia. Olivier had known what her friend was trying to do, but it had just seemed so hard. Why was it so much easier now, surrounded by strangers in a country she didn't know? It felt almost like she was betraying Flae.

It was then that Prince Duncan entered the medical wing, crossing to the beds where Kylan and Louin were being attended to in two long strides. In those two strides, he looked everything like the prince he was. Olivier's heart thudded at the thought. Something had always been off about Tommél – he had seemed princely, but he never had the right air, or the right words. She had never noticed before, but watching Prince Duncan, it was obvious. Duncan was aware of his power and how to use it. Tommél had been aware of his power, but in a way that made him only wish for more. A shiver ran down her spine. Had her little brother ever just been her little brother? Was the Tommél she remembered a lie? Her laughter spluttered out like a flame.

"Well, at least the girls are getting along." Duncan was grumbling. "We expected to move quickly into meetings after your arrival, but certainly not peace talks between Darius and Seraphi of Tenebrille regarding an assault on the Umbrassi Dragonheir!"

"I'm hurt too!" Louin cried, tenderly pressing the bruise that was now forming around his right eye. "Does that count for nothing?"

"You threw the first blow, so no." Duncan sighed, raking his hands through his hair, though he was careful not to knock his circlet out of place. Then a smirk appeared on his face, the prince gone, a mischievous boy left in his place. "Spirits, Louin, when you said Anemasi would be at war as soon as we met with the convoy, I didn't realise you intended to start one."

"My only intention was to shake his hand." Louin grumbled.

"Well," Annalissa quipped, wandering to her brother's side, "you missed, and by quite a margin."

Olivier let out another laugh, and moved to Kylan's bedside. He met her eyes for a second, then glanced away. She was surprised he even acknowledged her that much.