Ch. 8

MICHAEL

I woke up on a cold, stony surface. A shiver ran down my spine. I tried to move my arms to rub the coldness out of them, but found that they were tied behind my back in an uncomfortable position.

I looked to my left and saw a lump on the ground, assumingly Alex. I looked around the vast room we were in, trying to find something I could use to get us out of there.

I saw a little glint of light in the far corner of the room-

My sword.

I struggled to get to get into a sitting position. I started to inch to the sword. A shuffling noise echoed off the walls getting louder. Suddenly they stopped.

I saw movement in the corner of my eye. I turned my head to see what it was. An Ambre was standing there, glaring at me.

I scooted faster towards the sword. I looked over my shoulder to see how far I had left to go. Only a few more feet. I looked back at the Ambre in the entryway and saw that he was coming at me.

I felt a small prick in my back. I moved my hands around and grasped the blade that was poking my back. I placed the rope that bond my hands on the blade and sawed back and forth, all the while the Ambre was closing the distance between us two fast, for a walking pace that is.

The ropes loosened around my wrists and then they fell to the ground around the blade.

I continued to stare at the large beast coming at me as I brushed my hand along the blade trying to find the hilt.

My hand came across the hilt. I pulled the blade into the air and slashed at the oncoming figure that was only two feet away from me.

I broke the skin on the Ambregon, only a little gash. The Ambre roared in anger. Its talons grew to their full length and lashed at me. I swung my sword once again. Talons and sword met, making a metallic screech.

I slowly managed to stand as we pushed our blades were interlocked. Once I was up, I brought up my right leg and connected my knee to the stomach of the Ambre, hard. It stumbled away from me. I walked forward and heaved my left arm over my head. My arm came down on the monster's head, cutting it in half.

It let out a sharp cry as it disintegrated.

I found my sword sheathe and sheathed it. I ran over to Alex. I heaved him over my right shoulder and started around the corner that I saw the Ambre come from.