xxi. the late night hot chocolate

AROUND 11 PM, Cassie decided it might be best if she made a visit to Monet's

AROUND 11 PM, Cassie decided it might be best if she made a visit to Monet's. The place wasn't small, but it wasn't huge either. It was tidy, and had one of those comforting auras that made her relax whenever she walked in. It was a safe place for her, and her thoughts, where she could just grab a mug of hot chocolate and be by herself.

Walking in, a homey feeling surrounded her and she closed her eyes in comfort. When she opened them she heard the familiar voice of Clay. Sitting at a table, him and Tony talked with food in front of her. Just like always, Clay had a worrisome expression on his face, the one that screamed he wasn't okay. Cassie walked over and started to overhear the conversation.

"Stop talking like my grandpa," Clay told Tony.

"You need to be in the right headspace," Tony replied with a mouthful of food.

"How can I be in the right headspace to find out why I caused a girl to kill herself?" He swiftly asked.

At that moment, Cassie had approached their table causing them to look up at her in surprise. She could hardly find the words to see, but knew the topic at hand did have her speechless most times.

"Hi guys," she said almost shyly, "you're— you're talking about the tapes."

Clay glanced away, "yes, my tape."

"Tell him he needs to eat," Tony pleaded.

Cassie pulled up a chair, and disregarded his words, "have you listened to it?"

"Not all the way."

"Whatever is on the tape, just know that her death isn't your fault. Clay, I know you'd never intentionally do something to hurt someone. Although I regret some things I said, she could've dealt with this in another way."

Clay turned to her, "just because we didn't put her in the bathtub, doesn't mean we didn't help her decision to do so."

Seconds later, Skye was coming over with a glass of water and setting it down for Clay. He immediately began chugging and Sky watched confused and with questions.

"Rough night?" She guessed.

"He's just going through some shit," Tony argued without releasing information.

"I can see that. He's got existential crisis written on his forehead," she replied.

"Don't we all," Cassie commented sheepishly.