iii. the tapes in sequence

[ 'In fact, most of you listening probably had no idea what you were truly doing

   [ 'In fact, most of you listening probably had no idea what you were truly doing. But you'll find out. Turn the tape over for more' ].

   CASSIE SUCKED IN a breath she didn't know she was holding. Justin had been the first reason Hannah Baker took her life, and it was all based on a rumor. All, because Justin's lousy friend, Bryce Walker decided to share what seemed to be a harmless photo turned into more by Liberty High's students. If anything, it was Bryce's fault for sending the picture to everyone in the first place. Cassie remembered that day, though.

   "Is it true?" Asked Cassie regrettably.

  At the time, she was in a relationship, and was only close friends with Justin. She just wanted to hear it from him since rumors meant nothing to her if they weren't said from the actual person. Justin Foley was more real than half the students who attended Liberty High in her opinion.

   Before Justin could get into his car, he stopped and held the frame of the door by the top, "we only kissed, Cas. What's it to you?"

   Cassie shrugged, "it's nothing, I'll catch up with you later."

   Thinking back to that day, she hadn't thought it was a big deal. The picture was nothing, only of Hannah Baker's dress flying as her undies though blurry were easy to see underneath as she soared down the slide at Eisenhower Park.

   However, her perspective of it could've been different than Hannah's perspective of it. It must have affected her more if this was a reason why she took her life. And if so, Cassie was missing the big picture and would never know how she felt having not been in her shoes before.

   Cassie flipped the cassette tape over and put it back in the Walkman. When she pressed play she wished she had never turned it over like Hannah advised her to.

   [ 'Popularity is complex. You need to wear the right clothes, carry the right attitude, and have the right face. If you cross a line you didn't know you were crossing, you could be digging a hole for yourself without even knowing. And if you accidentally kiss someone's boyfriend, then it's not a hole you're digging, it's your grave. And the gravedigger of this tape is Liberty High's cheerleader co-captain. If you've never had almost everyone hate you in your high school class, then you've never crossed, wait for it: Cassie James' ].

   Her name spoken by Hannah Baker sent chills down her spine. She couldn't change the past, she could only rewrite her future, and after that certain incident she found herself in Justin's arms to comfort her.

   [ 'I was told Cassie James was fairly nice, so when my lips came in contact with Zach Dempsey's at a party during the end of sophomore year I thought she might understand how it was an accident. For those of you listening, you're probably thinking she did try and understand. That's where you're wrong' ].