xi. the good she saw in them

[ A/N: my apologies, this is possibly a filler chapter considering the length it is, but i didn't update yesterday and i wanted to make it up, so prepare for a better chapter later today ]

   AS CASSIE LEANED against the door of her car, she surveyed the courtyard full of students hurrying to leave. Most of them had smiles on their faces, and others had blank expressions, yet Cassie knew it wasn't because of Hannah Baker. The student-made posters that were taped on the walls of the hallways said the same message: suicide isn't the answer, but how many of them actually knew Hannah? How many had cared for her despite the hashtags they tweeted and posted? Those posters had only been taped up, because she took her life, not because they cared beforehand.

Cassie bounced off the side of her car, and began to open the driver's door. As soon as she did, and was about to slip inside the car, a shadow hit the ground beneath the open door.

"Jess," Cassie greeted surprisingly, as she stepped back out and closed the car door.

Jessica bit her lip, and got a firmer grip on her bag strap, "the winter formal is in two days."

   "The winter formal: a night to remember," Cassie said, a full smile spreading across her face at the memory of last year. But just as quick as it came, it faded as recent events came to her mind as well.

   "I know you and Justin were together for the winter formal last year, but it doesn't have to change this year," she said as a matter of fact.

   Cassie looked towards the ground, "things happen for a reason."

   "Like you and Justin?" Jessica questioned, "you dated for a reason. If you can find it, maybe there's hope for you two."

   It was a thought to consider, why they had started to date. Cassie was a cheerleader, Justin was a basketball player, and they still are, but the only difference was the events that changed things. They had known each other since middle school, but only in sophomore year had they started to become friends. Cassie was exposed to his home life, and Justin to her empty house, something she was familiar with for as long as she could remember. That was the sacrifice her mom made to help them stay afloat.

   "Why are you rooting for us?" Cassie asked with confusion laced in her tone.

   "Because when I look at you guys, I see the good in this town. I see the love you had for each other, and it gave me hope that something like that is out there for me, too. If I had something like that, I would never let it go," Jessica replied considerably.

   [ A/N: oh, the irony (; ]

   Cassie nodded, and after their goodbyes and Jessica's advice to think about attending the formal, she was in the drivers seat. As a cheerleader, she had to go to be apart of the school, but the question was if she was also going for herself. Her peers, her close friends, her exes, all most likely expecting her to go. Yet, unlike last year where life seemed so innocent, Cassie couldn't find it in her to find a reason (besides having school spirit) to go at all.