ix. the heart to heart

THE NIGHT THAT followed through after her talk with Jessica, Cassie found herself at Eisenhower Park

   THE NIGHT THAT followed through after her talk with Jessica, Cassie found herself at Eisenhower Park. She rocked back and forth on the swing, her feet never leaving the ground. As her eyes trailed the details of the woodchips, footsteps thudded against them and she raised her head to look up.

"Hey stranger," she greeted and he sat on the swing next to her.

"What's on your mind?" Zach asked, his tall frame stiffly sitting on the swing.

"Mostly, the tapes," she said, glancing over at him, "and Justin, I guess."

"You guess?" He repeated.

"I don't know, things are complicated," Cassie replied reluctant with her word choice.

Cassie wondered how he knew she was there, but maybe he hadn't known. She wouldn't be the only one trying to find peace and quiet once and awhile, but she was glad he was here. Even after their breakup they were able to fix things between them and since then have become good friends they can go to if they ever need advice.

"Try and un-complicate them," he suggested, a smile stretching across his face.

"You make it sound so easy."

"It can be if you try. What's the problem with Justin?" Zach asked, his smile fading into a mixed expression of confusion and worry.

"To start things off, he cheated on me—"

"Besides that, Cas," he almost laughed, but kept it in knowing the issue wasn't funny to the least; he just liked her personality and the way she unintentionally added humor to the way she said things.

"He still loves me though, and I know I love him, too, but how do I know he won't do it again?" She asked, becoming serious.

Zach had to think for a minute, "you need to build your trust for him again, and make sure he owns up to what he did. If he truly understands what he did and how it affected you, you'll know he might not do it again. Because if he does really love you, he wouldn't hurt you like that again."

"When did you become such a relationship expert?" Cassie asked with a playful grin.

"After our breakup, I realized how much I needed my best friend. I knew we might not get back together, but you always helped me get through the day just by being there, even if you were just my friend," he said and continued, "I had to be honest with what I did to mend our friendship, and that meant knowing I hurt you. It took awhile to forgive myself, but I also knew you were strong enough to get through it."

"You know, I thought about sending you strawberries," Cassie giggled and he looked over at her in fear.

"You thought about giving me an allergic reaction that could kill me?" He scoffed, his eyes going wide in surprise and horror.

The two best friends sitting on the swings laughed, and started to remind each other about the inside jokes they used to talk nonstop about. After one person finished their story, the other would immediately begin another. It felt like any other day where they hung out and just talked about anything. For both of them, it felt nice to just sit there and be in each other's presence, especially after not doing it for so long.

When their stories died down, they began actually using the swings to compete against each other. Of course, Zach won with his 'long giraffe legs' as Cassie would describe them, and soon enough they forgot their problems as they enjoyed each other's company.

❁❁❁

   WHEN CASSIE WALKED through the front door, her mom appeared in the threshold of the hallway. Her expression was fearful and worrisome. She walked over to her until Cassie fell into the embrace of one of her mom's hugs.

   "Hi mom," she finally said.

   "Hi, baby. How was your day?" Her mom asked as the clock on the wall read eight twenty-three.

   "It was okay, nothing exciting," Cassie smiled and slipped off her shoes on the rug by the door.

   "I just want you to know I love you so much, and I hope you also know you can come to me always. I never want you to feel like you don't have a way out," she returned the smile, and Cassie followed her into the kitchen, "let's eat dinner and just talk, me and you."

   In the kitchen was their small table for two and on top was a pizza box. Cassie already knew it was cheese considering both of them didn't like any other topping. She could hardly remember the last time they connected over dinner as mother and daughter. Tonight had just been full of reconnecting for Cassie, and she wasn't complaining.

[ 'feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section, and please vote, thank you (:' ]